BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry to post yet another question on here so soon after the first but a problem has reared its head yesterday on my car (1993 E36 325i Auto).

Basically I noticed that after a fair bit of stop/start work on the way home (I recently moved house and the trip home from work now involves more traffic and lights) that when you are literally crawling (i.e. have your foot on the brake and let the car roll forward under its own steam quite slowly), there is a noticeable knocking/clonking sound from the gearbox area that is transmiitted quite sharply up through the gear lever if you put your hand on it and has a consistent frequency like a spinning opject catching on something. The minute you exceed about 3mph it stops. So far i've had no problems with the car and the box seems to be working ok and it only does it in 'D' and not reverse, also if you leave the car for a while/overnight it goes away until you you start doing a lot of stop/start again. I know the gearbox is a real pain to get to even to just have a 'quick look' externally, and if its something terminal I'll have to weigh up fitting a new box over buying a new car.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Check the "guibo" or rubber propshaft vibration damper out, it may be starting to break up, it can be seen without removing anything, just get the car up on axle stands

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FIXED!!

I looked underneath, it turned out the heat shielding in the transmission tunnel has fallen down and was fouling the propshaft, so I thought others might like to know.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts