BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone might know whats wrong with my car. Its an E36 325i petrol and it has the following symptoms:

- Start up ok, but won't rev or drive
- idle jumps up and down from about 500-1500
- when left to idle badly it evens itself out and almost idles properly, but then when you try and rev it goes back to rough idle again.

Disconnected the air mass sensor and it runs better, still has same rough idle, but it will rev and drive. When driving if you try and keep a constant throttle it will mis and pick up, like its on a cycle or something? it will go then it won't, go then it won't, etc etc. Give it some throttle and it goes like stink.

So far i have had the

- Air mass meter changed
- Camshaft sensor changed
- 02 lambda/oxygen sensor changed

If anything, the car ran better before I took it in to have the air mass meter and camshaft sensor changed.

Got the codes read today and they read:

- Air mass meter
- Camshaft sensor
- and 00066 undoc code

Anyone got any idea's or had any similar problems, I'm at a loss?

Also when it is idleing badly you get a popping every so oftern from the exhaust headers, I'm guessing this is the misfire..

Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't mate, chap at the garage said this this morning when I took it down to have the codes read. Trying that this afternoon. Just wondering whether this would contribute to my poor drivability and not being able to rev it.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
renegademaster4 on your link you attached and on the 14th picture in it shows a hose leading from the ICV to the intake manifold. On yours was this hose (where circled in the picture) easy to remove? I've just got to the stage where I;m about to disconnect the elec plug from the ICV and noticed that this hose (circled) isn't connected. I've been fugging about down there and just wondered if I've accidently pulled this out (if so must of been really loose) or if this hasn't been connected at all in the first place. If it hasn't been connected at all I'm just wondering if this has been my problem all along and hence why my cars been running bad i.e dragging more air in and making it run lean

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mate that is ur problem, i.take it ur on about the.small pipe that goes onto the bigger one from the icv.

Happened on my 325 and was causing running issues and also making like a poping/banging.noise that sounded like it was coming from inlet manifold

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
renegademaster4 on your link you attached and on the 14th picture in it shows a hose leading from the ICV to the intake manifold. On yours was this hose (where circled in the picture) easy to remove? I've just got to the stage where I;m about to disconnect the elec plug from the ICV and noticed that this hose (circled) isn't connected. I've been fugging about down there and just wondered if I've accidently pulled this out (if so must of been really loose) or if this hasn't been connected at all in the first place. If it hasn't been connected at all I'm just wondering if this has been my problem all along and hence why my cars been running bad i.e dragging more air in and making it run lean
the icv is suppose to be connected to the manifold via that hose and if i am right a plastic clip helps it stay in place, however this should not be lose and could well be your problem good luck:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crazy irish it is a pipe about 30-40mm diameter leading off from the ICV upto the Manifold just behind the throttle body i think. On renegades link its the 14th photo and is circled - underneath the following text:

This is a look below the intake manifold showing the 2nd hose running from the ICV which plugs into the intake manifold. Note that you undo it where I have circled and I had to soak it with WD-40 and gently use a flathead screwdriver from above to work it loose. I pointed out the ICV position:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Renegade, crazy irish, rjb328i thanks very much. Connected the hose up and fired her up and she ran as she should. Plug/hose is still loose fitted so gonna try and find a way of seating that more snug over weekend as there is no plastic clip! But thanks again

Great link Renegade, Cheers chaps, id thankya a 100 times if I could:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tell me about it mate, when it first did it I was leaning over the engine and jumped back!
Any tips on how I can seat that pipe so its in there a bit more secure? thinking some sort of tape?! but maybe I'm better off buying another pipe to go on. Just doesn't seem like there's any clip or anything to hold it in place properly

Can't wait to get it back on the road, been driving around in some piece of sh*te astra as a temp car for last couple of months and its such a heap of crap, can't wait to get that 6 cyl singing again with my scorpion end can - sure my neighbours have missed it aswell!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts