BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mate has a front mount intercooler for a subaru lyeing around so was looking to buy it off him if it would fit onto my car or you i have to buy the specific one?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
it will be a universal fmic that your friend has as all imprezzas have top mounts and yes with a little imagination it will fit do you know the core size?

Reactions: 31chael

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
the pipes you mate will have will be for the imprezza and not a e36 tds you will need custom pipes to route it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aw i see, so i could just use the stanard pipes off of my car, or would i need longer or wider diameter pipes?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you can retrofit your standard pipes with a little fettling

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would mibi just do that for the time beeing, how much would hoses cost roughly do you know? and which ones are best?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
aliminium pipes are better and you can get kits off ebay and you can have alook for intercooler sprayers for that little extra umph

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
They spray water (or alcohol, or even nitrous, depening on how deep your wallet is) on the core to chill the intercooler more.
The IC will be pretty hot, as it's an air radiator, and it loses it heat into the passing air.
spraying it with water or something fancy cools it even more but it's unlikely you'll feel a difference.
If you can trust yourself not to push it too far, you can get a boost gauge and a bleed valve.
It's a full mechanical turbo, so bleeding off the vacuum stops the turbo from opening the wastegate as early, and will up the boost.

Newer stuff has an ECU controlled vacuum solenoid that means the ECU decides when to allow the vacuum through to open the wastegate (or move vanes on the clever stuff)

The problem is that it's very easy to keep fiddling with a bleed valve, and keep turning it up until something breaks, so don't go crazy.

Bleed valves are rarely seen these days as the control of turbos has moved on, but the reason most Renault 5 GT turbo owners can swap a headgasket in 20 mins is from fiddling, overboosting and blowing the engine!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool mate thanks for the info, nitrous, would that make a difference? is nitrous expensive to buy?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
could always fit a bigger turbo to get a little more upmh aswel or raise the boost by a couple of psi

stick to the chip guidelines first of all get the stage 1 tuning out of the way forst then look for more power

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool. mibi just leave the nitrous, not got cash to burn that quickly anyway lol. going to get it chipped, contacted the guy from end tunning, going to strip my ecu down today to see if its the 1 or 2 chip ecu.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts