BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from picking my wife up from work, and noticed a squeak coming from the drivers side rear suspension, got out and noticed the bimmer had lowered itself on the one side. Now, without ripping the wheel off what are the likley causes of that, and how cheap (yet safe) could it be rectified? passenger side i can easily slip 3 fingers between the tyre and the arch, drivers side i can barely slip 1 finger in.

HELP :(

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
From what you've said, i'll take a guess and say a broken spring !

But, you'd really need to whip the wheel off and have a good look around !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought as much, I will take the wheel off today, it was just a bit late last night for doing that lol.

Typical, the dearer of the 2 options (i found spring for £28 and Shock for £18 online lol)

Gonna have a look now. Cheer

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ok, just been out, and its 'auto corrected' itself. cany find the tools i need and my hands freeze as soon as i go out, so will leave it till a bit later on today

·
Banned
144 Posts
I agree with ferret mate sounds like a broken spring or maybe a failed shock .

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I agree with ferret mate sounds like a broken spring or maybe a failed shock .
Barring the minor contribution of the upthrust on the rod of a gas pressure shocker, shocks don't support the car

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought as much cheers. Kwik-Fit have just quoted me £106.60 to replace a spring.......Yes, A spring. For £106.60 I can get 2 springs AND 2 shocks off the interwebs. Just need to wait for moneys tomorrow, go buy a spring compressor and get them ordered.

Cant be THAT hard can it??? if a Kwik-Fit 'Technician' can fit one. Though i'm still not sure why its auto corrected itself

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Cant be THAT hard can it??? if a Kwik-Fit 'Technician' can fit one.f
If that's a comment on the price, anyone asking for a price can't usually do it so it's whatever they like.

Look for a "how to" on here you, may not need compressors.

A spring is a relatively simple bit of coiled steel. I wouldn't be expecting much from shockers costing so little..............

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Spring compressor ? I thought it was the rear that had the problem ?

You don't need that for changing a rear spring.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that's a comment on the price, anyone asking for a price can't usually do it so it's whatever they like.

Look for a "how to" on here you, may not need compressors.

A spring is a relatively simple bit of coiled steel. I wouldn't be expecting much from shockers costing so little..............

Fair point about the shocks. and no, it wasnt a comment on the price. Just a bit of tongue in cheek (failed) humour.

Ferret said:
Spring compressor ? I thought it was the rear that had the problem ?

You don't need that for changing a rear spring
I've only ever changed a front shock on an old Punto, and i DID need compressor then. Good to know its not needed for rears :)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Good to know its not needed for rears :)
It does depend on the car but seen some E36 "how to" without if I remember correctly but best read a couple

1 - 14 of 14 Posts