BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove to maccyd and the car stalled then would not restart. I managed to get her to start after a few pops and splurts. Now she is is hesitant through the whole rev range and ticking over sounds like a bird is jammed under my bonnet.
Ive attached a link to a video of her ticking over well trying to :jaw-dropping

YouTube - 12012011

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Complete guess sounds like a toasted bearing. Alternator? Doesn't account for poor runnning though.

Look in the light. Visual inspection and then try and narrow the area down.

Definitely don't do the listening to an iron bar trick where you rest a bar on suspected components and listen to is to localise sound.

Reactions: djsteviec01

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Buddy,

Could be your MAF (Air flow meter) has had it. Might be worth disconnecting that and seeing if it runs better. :thumbsup

Only other thing I can think of is a rip in the intake rubber boot not allowing air into the car. :thumbsup

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Buddy,

Could be your MAF (Air flow meter) has had it. Might be worth disconnecting that and seeing if it runs better. :thumbsup

Only other thing I can think of is a rip in the intake rubber boot not allowing air into the car. :thumbsup
Disconnected that earlier and the problems where still there mate if not worse

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a 92 320i had similar issues, check all rubber pipes for splits, rubber boot to the maf as well, clean the icv check icv pipes, inlet manifold gaskets, breather pipe could be any of these.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 92 320i had similar issues, check all rubber pipes for splits, rubber boot to the maf as well, clean the icv check icv pipes, inlet manifold gaskets, breather pipe could be any of these.[/QUO

ive cleaned the icv and checked the pipes but i will double check them all tomorrow in daylight. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
My mate had filled up from some supermarket petrol station he had a similar problem where his car was reving like yours is in the video. His mechanic drained the fuel and then he went to his local Shell petrol station and his car was running fine again. Bit weird but it may be worth running some injector cleaner.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok my other threads closed. car seemed ok yesterday when i wrote 20 quid v power and petrol cap changed and my problems gone but today back to her old tricks.

Ive changed my camshaft sensor and relays checked ecu connections checked all hoses cleaned my icv tried another maf.

Been scanned today

Vanos failure and knock sensor? Would these cause my stalling?

Where can i get these parts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeh thought so no chance fuel can cause problems, yes quality of fuel does make a difference but in performance not general driving, if thats whats come up then i would go with that vanos failure i dont think that would cause it to stall id say knock sensor but see what others suggest.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks mate i will get a new knock sensor. I dont know anything about vanos really and dont really want to be shelling out x amount of pounds on a sensor that is not gonna solve my problem. It was a bit oily when i removed it yesterday but for all i know this could be normal? :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
i would say on this ocasion from the two faults its the knock sensor as the vanous failour would be present when 3k revs not clued up on the vanos jobby but i beeleive they kick in at 3k

1 - 20 of 23 Posts