BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Please bear with me this is hard to explain.
Ok nearside rear wheel is making an odd noise. If you go slow it sounds like a creaking noise with every turn of the wheel. If you going above say 40 it sounds like the brakes binding ( Not as checked ). If i accelerate the noise goes completely !!!! Seems to be getting worse. Checked and can't find anything fouling the wheel, Rocked the wheel top and bottom for bearing wear, seems ok. Its not a knocking noise of any type and its also not a noise when going over bumps, its constant unless accelerating !!! Also another odd thing is it doesn't seem to make the noise unless the weight of the car is on it. Tried jacking up and taking the wheel off then spinning disc but no odd noise !!! Very odd, Can anyone help ? Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mine has the same...the noise developed into a vibration which could be felt through the seat (dictating the vibration was coming from the rear of the car). i thought initially the noise was a brake back plate snagging somewhere but i checked and could find nothing.
the car went to a bmw garage for diagnosis. they replaced a extremely worn propshaft bearing. this had been caused by a seizing rear UV joint. the whols prop needs replacing as the uv joint is not sold as a seperate part.
check the uv joint...if it not attended you'll put pressure on the diff pinion causeing the diff to fail...you dont want to replace a diff!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, There's deffo no vibration. I'll check and grease the CV and get back to you. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Checked the CV and seems fully greased, Did put new grease in there to be sure and Low behold it Still making the same wierd noise as described !!!!!! Im at my wits end now its driving me mad. Any further suggestions ??? Im sure its not brake related as when moving if i apply the brakes or handbreak it makes no difference. The oddest thing is how it only makes the noise when the car is on its wheels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorted guys !!!!!!!!! Turned out to be the Half Shaft UV fooked. Took it off completely, however had to remove backbox and rear anti-roll bar to get access to shaft bolts. The UV was very notchy and stiff. Got a replacement from Quarry Motors Sheffield for £25. Bargain !!! Now can enjoy the sweet sounding straight 6 again with windows down :) Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts