BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys this is my first post, i have just got my first bmw and i love it! but there is a few problems......:confused where do i start ..... well it smokes alot when first started and is very very lumpy as if its not firing on all cylinders. if you put your foot down it smells of burning plastic and smokes white with a tint of blue ....? also it lacks power alot after the car being stood for a few months after the previous owner fitted a flame kit that blew the ECU i think that half the problem could be that it has not had a good run and may need the injectors cleaning out and a full service. i have a suspition that it is the head gasket but i just wanted some oppinions on the problems. can anyone help? thanks jay

·
Registered
710 Posts
Burning oil, head gasket, possible exhaust manifold, dirty injectors, the list is quite possibly endless.

Sounds like you need to perform a good old service on the beast.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my own experience was a loss of power on a 328. it did not seem like the full 190bhp and quite a smokey exhaust. mine was a head gasket ( although i didn't get it checked, 95% sure i was told).

the burning smell. i'm not quite sure. i did have a strange smell from the heaters which may be the same as what you are getting.

also before it went the heaters decided to pack in about a week before total failure

·
Registered
788 Posts
well personally i would not jump to conclusions, that could be very expensive, trying to fix something that you dont know is broken, my advice would be to go to your local garage and tell them you have a suspect head gasket failure and ask them to perform a pressure test,this will only cost a few quid and maybe free if they think they will get the repair job from you, then if that turns out to be fine then you can start the elimination process, but i think you do need to tell the garage the history of the car as you told us about the flamer kit and the ecu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your replys guys will go out today and grab a head gasket test kit, its a lovley car but i think the flame kit had caused more damge then can be scene :( but will have a good go over her and see if i can sort the little lady out lol thanks again for all of your help jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts