BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok wierd question time. (it seems i'm getting one problem after another recently) but anyway......

Where is my oil going?? :confused

I've checked the usual suspects like oil leaking from engine, oil patches on the drive and theres nothing there.

The coolant is Clear of oil

Only a bit of white smoke upon start up. No burning smell coming from anywhere, Yet in the 4 weeks of having her, i must have topped up with 3 or 4 litres of oil, Give it a few days, and the level is back below the min on the dipstick. I am due to give it a service (in fact overdue) but the oil drinking is rather concerning,

Help please

·
Registered
354 Posts
320s are known to be oil drinkers my old one was had to top up with a litre or so every month.

any oil in the spark plug holes ? could be rocker cover gasket.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
middle really!
The top of the engine is canted over to the left as you are standing at the bumper, and the intake is on the right. Now on the right side of the top of the engine cover, pretty much directly in the centre of the engine bay, you'll see a hole exit the cam cover just at the corner of the black plastic cover.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
"i must have topped up with 3 or 4 litres of oil"

Well, with no obvious leaks the only option is engine bore wear. The question is what do you want to do about it?

You could change the engine but if everything else is OK do you want to go to the bother?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"i must have topped up with 3 or 4 litres of oil"

Well, with no obvious leaks the only option is engine bore wear. The question is what do you want to do about it?

You could change the engine but if everything else is OK do you want to go to the bother?
Not sure if it came out right in original post, But Topping up a liter here and a liter there, not 3/4 litres at a time, that WOULD worry me.
the engine is about the best thing of the car at the moment to be honest, the bodywork needs rust repairs :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts