BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Once again I'm back! Ahhhhhhhhh this start problem is now driving me mad!
Please refer to my previous post, "Oily Plugs - Please not Piston rings!"

I did indeed have oily plugs, but this merely turned out to be the rocker cover gasket, which was a quick and cheap fix.
I thought this was causing the start problem, however it was still there.
I replaced the Cam and crank shaft sensors, as this may of been the problem, but unfortunatly , its still there.
I have fuel, as I disconnected the fuel line, after the filter (whilst fitting a new one) and loads of petrol came out, so no problem there.
I have checked the spark plugs since, no longer oily and a good spark,
The battery has plenty of power in it, so all good there, I give up!

In the best way I can explain, this is the problem:
I turn the key, the engine turns, at good speed, but it just won't fire, sometimes it goes to fire, but doesn't, sometimes it stops turning, then a whirring sound continues for about 2 or 3 seconds, then it clunks, as if something has locked. and silence, Still no start,
I have to put it in 3rd or 2nd gear turn the key, let the clutch out and kind of shock it in to action!
Other times, it will just fire as if nothing is wrong, sometimes the idle speed is slightly up and down, (only by 200-300 revs - it still floats around 900) other times its steady, It is failing to start more and more though, it has nothing to do with being cold, or hot, either outside or engine temperature.

I simply don't know what to do, I have a mobile mechanic coming out Friday PM, and its another £42+vat and he can't even garantee that he will get the root of the problem.

If any of you have any ideas what so ever, I have the time on my hands, to look at any suggestion you have, I have followed all the advise you guys have given me and done all the work myself, I am very very grateful for all the posts to the other thread, and I hope with this more thorough explanation someone may know of a solution.

Thank you all so much in advance

Newby

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Don't know what was advised on your other thread but have you checked your vacuum hoses for splits/air leaks as the erratic idle could be caused by this. There's also a hose that connects under the inlet manifold that i forgot to connect once after having the manifold off.

When you say "sometimes it stops turning, then a whirring sound continues for about 2 or 3 seconds, then it clunks, as if something has locked. and silence" do you mean it stops turning while you still have the key in the start position.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Gildersol,
It does all the above, whilst I have the key still turned full lock trying to start, then I realise it. PS Will check hoses tomorrow as well, Many Thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
when you get a whirring sound and it locks up sounds to me like the starter motor is locking up then if you crank it in gear it works sounds like the starter is being freed up, in the past i have come across starters with teeth missing and also flywheels with the same problem, that would be the 1 problem but not the non-starting that would be a totally different fault and im not being funny but without seeing and hearing the car it could be 1 of 50 faults id let the mobile mechanic see if he can find the fault.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post videos on this site??? I'm going to video it in the AM guys, you can all hear it then, I'm just going to look in to putting it on Utube or something. Watch this space................

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Post it on to youtube and cut and paste the link into the thread reply box:thumbsup

I'm with Kev regarding the noise, sounds like starter motor:thumbsup

I notice a diagnostic scan has not been mentioned? Has a scan been performed on the vehicle recently?

:thumbsup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I'll do a visual check on the flywheel teeth, and starter motor in the am, I'll do the you tube thing too. It was on the diagnostic up at kwik fit at the weekend, all it said was:
phase sensor - incorrect range, have a quick look at the history on the original post, so you all know what I've been through ha ha
Cheers guys

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post it on to youtube and cut and paste the link into the thread reply box:thumbsup

I'm with Kev regarding the noise, sounds like starter motor:thumbsup

I notice a diagnostic scan has not been mentioned? Has a scan been performed on the vehicle recently?

:thumbsup
Here's an idea, can you come and drop a 3ltre in my car, it won't have any bl£$dy probelms then ha ha - nice motor mate

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, Hi all, I'm still in the process of putting the video's of the car starting problem on You tube, also done 1 regarding changing rear Brake lines over (pretty nice job to do, I'm well chuffed - see other post)
Anyways, Took it to a mechanic guru nr me, and there is no pressure at the fuel line at all, even when you turn to crank it, so its obviously a fuel pump issue, My haynes manual covers the removal of this very briefly, is it likely to be just the pick up strainer being blocked? Or should I just buy a new/2nd hand pump, (I am going to pick some other parts up, of a car tomorrow, so I could grab this too)
Oh and is it completely necessary to replace the sealing and locking rings!?!?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Hi mate. It could be worth checking the fuel pump relay if you have no fuel pressure. I know they were common on the old E30s. Im sure you can remove the relay and bridge the terminals in the relay box and if the pump doesnt run when the relay is bridged its knacked. If it runs constantly when its bridged it should be the relay. Im not back to work till mon but someone on here might be able to give you the relay and terminal locations. Its worth just checking this before you pull the pump out :thumbsup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys, latest on the starting issue is as follows, I checked the relay, by my mate turning the key and me holding my finger on the top, and you can feel it click, so this morning, I went to a guy who is breaking his 4 door L reg (also a 93) after researching last night, to make sure the parts would be the same, I picked up a fuel pump, came home , fitted and it fired up straight away, BUT!!!
Oh nooooo I hear you all cry!

Prior to me changing this over, first thing when you start it, (and its not been started for a while ie Cold) it will fire, but it gets kind of stuck at about 2000 revs, if you try to push the accelerator any harder it will bounce up and down, sound like it running on 3 cylinders, and shack, and generally not be very happy! then after about 90 seconds, it will clear itself, but, it then sticks at about 4000 revs, but all the time will idle at 900 revs happily, only after about 3 or 4 mins, will it allow you to go all the way up to full revs, could this be some kind of temperature sender sensor?????

And can someone tell me when the problems end! as soon as I fix one thing, another comes, are all these related, or am I just the most unlucky BMW owner in the planet!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and regarding the Alarm, in the thread you advised me to look at gildersol, I did check this, and there may be some strange goings on, as when I put the earth back on the battery today, after fitting the fuel pump, the hazards came on, like a silent alarm, but stopped as soon as turned the Key! More strangness with the car from Hell!!!!
I have to laugh , or I'll cry guys!!:hihi

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi Guys, latest on the starting issue is as follows, I checked the relay, by my mate turning the key and me holding my finger on the top, and you can feel it click, so this morning, I went to a guy who is breaking his 4 door L reg (also a 93) after researching last night, to make sure the parts would be the same, I picked up a fuel pump, came home , fitted and it fired up straight away, BUT!!!
Oh nooooo I hear you all cry!

Prior to me changing this over, first thing when you start it, (and its not been started for a while ie Cold) it will fire, but it gets kind of stuck at about 2000 revs, if you try to push the accelerator any harder it will bounce up and down, sound like it running on 3 cylinders, and shack, and generally not be very happy! then after about 90 seconds, it will clear itself, but, it then sticks at about 4000 revs, but all the time will idle at 900 revs happily, only after about 3 or 4 mins, will it allow you to go all the way up to full revs, could this be some kind of temperature sender sensor?????

And can someone tell me when the problems end! as soon as I fix one thing, another comes, are all these related, or am I just the most unlucky BMW owner in the planet!!!!

Could be your MAF or Idle control valve mate, check all your boots/hoses for air leaks...unplug your maf before starting the car then turn it on and see how it runs witht he maf unplugged mate, take it for a drive and see if it runs with out making popping (cylinders) noises matey. If it runs fine but a little high/ low/erratic without popping then you can start by swapping or cleaning your maf...get a second hand maf first though. If itis your ICV then give it a good clean and dry it properly then refit and see how it goes, post up your ICV part number mate as my mate had one recently I will see if he has it still for you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave ,
your a star, I'll be on it that in the am, I was thinking MAF, just seems logical, I am kind of amazing myself on how much I am learning, I am loving it! To the extent that I asked for a job at the garage that solved the fuel pump problem!! Will keep you posted. I could be a moderator yet ha ha
watch out ha ha :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgot to say thanks to BMWkev and A20 RYM, starter motor is also being replaced, at this rate, I should have a brand new car in pieces by xmas!!!! ha ha

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave,
got the Idle control valve off, but there's no way of taking it apart, how or what shall I clean it with!!!!/???? Oh and the number of it, is - bosch 0 280 140 529, any help at all????
Thanks mate

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ronnie, this is driving me mad, not joking anymore, I'm really really cheesed off, after fitting a new petrol pump yesterday and it starting first time every time, it now has its same old problem, of just turning, but not firing, and on initial start it did the same again today, sticking at 2000 revs, then again at 4000. I have also noticed that there was no fine filter in the MAF at all, the only filter was the large square air filter in the housing.
to protect the engine from air particles, something else, when the key is turned so lights illuminate, there is a dull double knock - 2 in a row - say half a second apart, different pitches in sound, behind the dash, not quite clear where its coming from, they are exactly 3.5secs apart, then another 2 knocks, 3.5 secs, then another 2. regular.
then, when the car is running (finally) it continues, but theres only 1 knock every 3.5secs!
Is this normal, just to update, I have put the MAF back in, etc, put the IVC back on, but havent cleaned it yet, it was quite clean.

I am lost, no garage can solve it, and neither can I.....

I GIVE UP!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts