BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive have a 1993 318 is coupe which was running perfectly till yesterday i went to the local shop and when i came back to the car it wouldnt start all the dash board lights work the cd works so does all the other things but it wont even fire? the bmw key fob is working ok cus it locks and unlocks the car but when you turn the key theres nothing ive been told it could be a number of things but which order do you start from ie relays,starter,fuses thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Sounds like the battery is flat or you have a poor connection at the battery.

Otherwise if the battery is good and leads are fine and you have power at the starter motor solenoid wire then the starter is knackered.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like the starter mate...same thing happend to me recently, got it replaced. However if you tap the starter motor with a long pipe or something and get someone to turn the key it should fire up...which would allow you to get it to a garage :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Sounds like the battery is flat or you have a poor connection at the battery.

Otherwise if the battery is good and leads are fine and you have power at the starter motor solenoid wire then the starter is knackered.
I've been working on my Touring today and had the exact symptom that you mention. I knew this was because I hadn't secured the terminal clamps on the battery. I managed to start it a few times and then nothing, wiggled the terminal clamps and all life came back so I tightened them up properly.

The reason I did not have it connected properly was only because I knew I had to disconnect the power a couple of times:thumbsup

May be worth removing the terminal clamps and give them and the terminals a good clean and re secure:thumbsup

Also, check you are getting a permanent live feed to the starter;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.