BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a search for related issues but too early in the morning and just finished a night shift so too tired to look properly.

Well i think i need a new clutch, when i press the clutch pedal very slightly i start to lose drive, it doesn't seem to drive as responsive either, more revs than usual but not much increase in speed. My cousin told me to accelerate hard off the mark and see what happens, well i did it this morning and the revs revved, but not much drive in the wheels.

I have had a browse of the how to on pelican parts and it looks like big job to be honest and the work doesn't look cheap either, how much am i looking for the parts labor, I'm thinking its going to be more than £200 and i don't like it :frown
l

I need it to be as cheap as possible, but I'm betting it won't be.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Sounds like you both need clutches, try driving up a hill in 3rd or 4th and flooring it, if it starts slipping then it's knackered, or you could try pulling the handbrake on and pulling away in 2nd or 3rd while giving it some revs, if it slips then it's again knackered.

Clutch kit can be had for around £100, Sachs or LUK are good makes, labour will be vary at different garages, have a good ring around, they may bump the labour up if you supply your own clutch though

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I usually buy a LUK or Sachs kit from the likes of Eurocarparts/GSFCP for about £95-110. Labour wise, expect to pay around £200 ish at best.

Whilst its quite an involving task, its not really technically that difficult to change the clutch. Many fitter don't use the grease supplied, do't align the plates up right etc and what you can end up with very shortly after a clutch change is minor clutch niggles like juddering, high biting point etc etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, i wasn't expecting labor to be so much, my brother can get a discount at GSF so i may be tempted to get one from there, unless anyone can advise against it, i'm rather skint and don't fancy paying loads of money out because i know for sure once the clutch has been done, something else will need replacing lol

Excuse me now while i ask a silly question, i haven't a clue about this kind of stuff so go easy on me.. Do i have a flywheel? if so will that need replacing as well as the clutch?

EK75234

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
ye syou do have a flywheel, I did change mine when I did my clutch but I doubt you will want to bother changing it. I got mine from GSFCP, cost abut £230 ....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You would not need to change the flywheel on yours mate, as DSK says.

If you're after a cheap and cheerfull fix then you could try...............dare i might say...............Mr Clutch............I personally would'nt send any of my pride and joys there but If I were lazy and could'nt be bothered or just did'nt have the time I would, and have done once or twice, sent one of my workhorses there to have the clutch replaced.......why? becuase these guys; are convenient and basically we cant touch them in terms of price- as dsk and Ronnie says- we would use either a Sachs or an LUK item which are OE on most vehicles and more dearer than the after market ones...Mr Clutch use their own parts and their labour charges are very reasonable so as a whole they always qoute ALOT cheaper than us and most other places.

Never had a prob with the work they have done on our sheds..and other everyday run of the mill cars we have sent there...like I said, they are cheap, quick fix and obviously you get the 12mths warranty aswell.

But...if it came to one of my own pride and joys and/or customers high performance cars......I certainly would not send them there in a million years.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I didn't know Mr. Clutch used their own parts. Never ever thought about having a clutch change there. Some cheap clutches that are available are VERY cheap and still come with 12 month warranties so may be Mr.Clutch is taking advantage of that. I wonder if they will fit a customer supplied part?

Personally, i think if MR Clutch fit clutches day in, day out for a living, it may be worth a quick visit to see what vibe you get. Ask them what steps they'd take when changing the clutch, like making sure all the parts are correctly adjusted when installed, bleeding the slave cylinder etc. If you get a 12 month warranty and you like the way they come across, it may be worth a punt ... better than getting screwed over by a shabby back street bloke who won't give 2 sh!ts after he's done the car and taken you're money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers slacker, I'll get a quote from Mr Clutch, if its cheap then I'm going for it.

I have been having serious thought's about just selling the car for what ever its worth and saving up for something a little newer and cheaper to run, any idea's what to get in place of my car? budget of around a grand after i have sold my car and saved up lol

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Cheers slacker, I'll get a quote from Mr Clutch, if its cheap then I'm going for it.

I have been having serious thought's about just selling the car for what ever its worth and saving up for something a little newer and cheaper to run, any idea's what to get in place of my car? budget of around a grand after i have sold my car and saved up lol
If you know the car is still going to be problematic after the clutch and will need other things doing in order to keep it running, then I can see why you may feel its best to sell and try something else.

To be honest for £1K I would not hesitate to get myself a tidy Honda Prelude/Toyota Celica. Quite quick, awesomely reliable and easy enough to maintain. Plenty about with sensible miles and decent history and all are very highly specc'd.

BMW wise I'd probably look at a tidy E36 BMW, completely standard with a comprehensive history and few owners. There seem to be a few that keep cropping up on Autotrader for well within the <£1K bracket.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I didn't know Mr. Clutch used their own parts. Never ever thought about having a clutch change there. Some cheap clutches that are available are VERY cheap and still come with 12 month warranties so may be Mr.Clutch is taking advantage of that. I wonder if they will fit a customer supplied part?

Personally, i think if MR Clutch fit clutches day in, day out for a living, it may be worth a quick visit to see what vibe you get. Ask them what steps they'd take when changing the clutch, like making sure all the parts are correctly adjusted when installed, bleeding the slave cylinder etc. If you get a 12 month warranty and you like the way they come across, it may be worth a punt ... better than getting screwed over by a shabby back street bloke who won't give 2 sh!ts after he's done the car and taken you're money.

Yep, that's right mate......they are ok, these guy's do know their stuff but they won't fit any other parts that are supplied by the customer........actually come to think of it..........we sent a customers avensis D4D their as they quoted the job cheaper than us........but the customer had a dual mass flywheel, which was buggered- since they did not stock these they had to order in from Toyota at a cost of.............£650!!! I told them to hold fire and I'd get one......at the end I did for £350, so customer was happy but for some reason Mr Clucth was not.....cant think why:D............but the flywheel was a Genuine Toyota Item- they finally agreed to fit it.........they can be a bit funny like that but to be honest mate-most garage including our selves are a bit weary about fitting parts that are supplied by the customers for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your after something quick and much cheapness the prelude as DSK said are cracking motors. I had 2, quite thirsty but if you want speed try and get a 2.2vtec jap import. Jap import's have 197bhp whilst uk spec have around 185bhp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep def clutch

i tackled this job with a fair knowledge in repairing cars and lets just say its a fair weather job for diy :)

what suprised me was the amount of stuff that needed removal to get to all the bolts... gearbox out is def the best was some cars are best engine out, but nt this one.. i had to remove the inlet manifold, most of the bulk head section which of course measn removal of the wipers lol the prop obv.. the exhaust system e.t.c

2 days in the p*ssing rain i nearly cried lol.

parts wise i paid about £50 full kit from GSF as mine had the tiniesy bit of damage if the edge of the clutch plate after inspection was perfect so went straight in had no worries been in for 6 months now makes such a difference to the drive..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the quote was e-mailed to me today, ready? £299.99!! OUCH! lol i simply can't afford it :(

Look's like i will be selling in a month or so, as for buying a different car i would really just like something reliable and cheap to run regarding insurance, maintenance, tax an all the other good stuff.

Not really after anything fast although I'm going against what i said not so long ago which was to go straight 6, but that's a silly idea right now lol

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well the quote was e-mailed to me today, ready? £299.99!! OUCH! lol i simply can't afford it :(

Look's like i will be selling in a month or so, as for buying a different car i would really just like something reliable and cheap to run regarding insurance, maintenance, tax an all the other good stuff.

Not really after anything fast although I'm going against what i said not so long ago which was to go straight 6, but that's a silly idea right now lol

Thanks

Paul
Seriously look at a Honda Prelude, quick and reliable, bad ones will stand out a mile. Also what about a VW Golf? you're bound to get something sweet for £1K.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
FWIW, when I did my clutch, I got the LUK part from GSFCP for £105 (& DMFlywheel for about £230) then paid a local independant £200 for fitting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know its a good price, but i can't afford it lol. I go away in 2 months and haven't saved a penny.I was looking at VW golfs before i got my bimmer but i couldn't find any good example's. I love the mk3 2.0 gti's but i love the mk4's even more but finding that shape for a grand is impossible unless its fooked.

Lets just see what happens over the next few weeks, would like to keep my car for a bit longer but if i really do decide to sell then it needs to be soon so its not completely dead.

Any idea's how much i would get for mine? MOT till august 09 and Tax till may 09 with 127k on the clocks. Loads and loads of receipts since owning it from September 07. Bodywork is in fair condition, wheels could do with a refurb, interior good except the seats that are ripped. If i can get a rough price then it would help me to work out how much i could save in a certain amount of time to buy something else.

Cheers

Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.