BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering if there are any issues in using an M3 antiroll bar to upgrade the standard unit?

I assume its thicker and therefore leads to a sturdier ride

Any help/info would be great

Many Thanks

Hugo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi mate
I currently have an M3 and I'm looking into reshelling it, so Ive been doing some research on the differences between models. First off the M3 ones differ from any non M cars as they mount on the strut where as non M cars mount via a drop link or pendulum link to the lower arm. This could essentially be overcome by adding a mounting point to the strut for the M one to link to. As I havent got a non M car shell yet Im unable to see whether it would be straight forward enough to link the M anti roll bar to the lower arm.

Size wise your 318i should have a 23.5mm arb. The M3 ones are listed as being 22.5mm which of course you would think seems weird. I have been told via another forum that they are made of a higher grade material and therefore act better although they feature a smaller diameter. I cannot really say whether this is the truth as I have no experience.

Anyway, the best bet for you in my opinion, for ease of fitting etc would be to use arbs from an M tech model, the 318s and 320s Mtech ones are 26mm dia and the 325/328 ones are 25.5mm dia. These would suit you as they will be a direct replacement.

The only thing I am unsure about as Ive not looked into it is the availability of these M tech arbs.

Hope thats some help to you. I also know a little about the differences of the rear arbs should you want to know.
All the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had a little web search now as I was interested for myself and it appears that the M3 one is thinner as the connection links to the suspension strut allow it to act in a more purposeful way. So it appears that its not a 'better' material as I was initially informed. Therefore please let me know about the availability of the M tech arbs as its quite liekly a route I may go down.

On a side not the M3 rear arb is quite a bit thicker and appears to mount the same as any other e36 so would be a valuable upgrade.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks very much, lost the thread lol

if you've got info on the rear arbs would luv to hear it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try powerflex antiroll bar bushes :thumbsup They help to make a difference with a standard roll bar
:thumbsup ye full powerflex bushes are def on the to do list :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a little old but I too want to install the powerflex sway bar bushings. Since my 93 318i has the 23.5mm sway bar and poweflex only makes 23mm and 24mm bushings I don't know which size to go with.
I was also wondering if I could use the sway bar from a 95 325i as it has a 24mm sway bar. I have looked at all the part numbers for the sway bar mounting hardware etc. and everything is the same except for the sway bar part number.

I was also wondering, since I only use this car on the street if there is any point to going with the powerflex bushings for the sway bar. I am going to use them for the control arm bushings.

I was also wondering if the front sway bar is upgraded does the rear sway bar have to be upgraded as well?

Thanks,
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts