BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I have searched and not found much info on e36 4 to 6 cyl conversionsjust a few questions
1. will i need to put the 520i's diff on or will mine be fine?
2. Do the brakes from a E34 fit fit the E36? fronts and also rear disc conversion?
3. i know i need new clocks to suit the new engine
4. can i sqeeze the battery in the engine bay or will it have to go into the boot?
5. an N reg 520i has the 24v M50TUB20 engine with the single Vanos. am i correct?
6. Anything I must know that i might not?

me and a friend will be doing it over the may bank holiday. we are both quite mechanically minded and have done a few conversions in the past.

doing the conversion because we have a cosmetically shite 520i sitting around so we thought we may aswell drop it in my E36 318i as it has done a lot less miles, sounds nicer, looks nicer, and is far smoother.

thanks in advance!!

Daniel

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The engine will sit straight on to the existing mounts so no problem there.

What years are the vehicles please?

1. will i need to put the 520i's diff on or will mine be fine?

The diff will fit your carrier but you will need to compare the drive shafts and ensure they have the same ends.

2. Do the brakes from a E34 fit fit the E36? fronts and also rear disc conversion?

Once you know the answer to the drive shaft question you will know if you are able to bolt the rear hubs on.

3. i know i need new clocks to suit the new engine

Correct, you will need clocks from a 6 cylinder.

4. can i sqeeze the battery in the engine bay or will it have to go into the boot?

It will need to go in the boot, which means that the jump start pillar will need securing in the engine bay:thumbsup

5. an N reg 520i has the 24v M50TUB20 engine with the single Vanos. am i correct?

???

6. Anything I must know that i might not?

EWS issues? Please let me know the vehicle years:thumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply!

The e36 318i is a 1993 and the e34 520i is a 1995

I dont think this car has the ewsII as it has a really old startermotor imobilisor and im pretty sure the ewsII wasnt until 96.

I have heard that i will beed to use a sump from an e36 6 cylinder. Is this true or do u reckon the 5 series one will be fine?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.