BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been done before, however for anyone with out a 3-legged puller you can leaver off the old bushes and lollypops with 2 spanners and some fairy liquid.

With the lollypop unbolted, insert 26mm 'C' spanner in between the bush and arm and leaver hard, when the bush is 1/2 way off you run out of leverage, use the 2nd spanner in between the arm and the first spanner to get some more leverage and off the the old bushes come. :)

Took an hour and a half, thats including 2 fags and a 1/2 mile walk to the mother in laws garage to use a vice to cut out the old bushes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
good stuff! i'll be doing this soon on mine. any reason for the copper slick though?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was lucky with mine taking under 2 mins to remove when unbolted; the lollypop part was able to be twisted enough to make one or two cuts with a knife into the rubber, and was then able to break this part away leaving just a 'stump' on the end of the arm. 10 secs with a hacksaw on the aluminium ring left on the arm and its falls off the arm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good stuff! i'll be doing this soon on mine. any reason for the copper slick though?
you get a small packet of copper grease for the powerflex bush, instruction link below.

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/1-pff5-301.pdf

new bushes are a hand fit into the lollypops with a little 50/50 fairy liquid and water, no press required.

the black inner bush was a bit tight due to the corrosion on the arms, I sand papered some of the rust off, applied some neat fairy and gently knocked the inner bush on with a 32mm socket, when it's 1/2 way on i fitted the lollypop with bush and used the 32mm socket again and tapped in on till fully home.

Getting the lollypops lined up with the mounting holes was also easy with minimal pressure required.

One thing to note is that i did this on ramps not on axle stands so the wheels were not hanging down, if they were lining up the bolt holes may be harder, IDK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts