BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Another problem with me beemer:frown

Out in it earlier, every now and again, at tickover, it would 'chug' and the rev counter needle would bounce around beatween 500-1000 revs.
Just been out to the shops in it, and now it is doing in everytime i'm decellerating and changing down in gears. When it's idling, it chugs and the whole car shakes!!

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi,

Another problem with me beemer:frown

Out in it earlier, every now and again, at tickover, it would 'chug' and the rev counter needle would bounce around beatween 500-1000 revs.
Just been out to the shops in it, and now it is doing in everytime i'm decellerating and changing down in gears. When it's idling, it chugs and the whole car shakes!!

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

Had similar symptoms on a car we had in yesterday, turned out that the injector seals needed replacing.

But first, as Gildersol say's, check for any air leaks around the intake, if nothing- then get the codes read mate.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be a number of things. Check for split air hoses, notably the concertina shaped one off the MAF
Sorted, found a split in small hose running from the Idle Control Valve.:thumbsup

But looking round, as you are looking at the engine from the front, just behind the concertina hos from the MAF, the is a small hose tail, without a vacuum hose connected to it!, it's clean and shiny so there must have been something on it but i can't find a trailing hose anywhere. Any idea what this hose is for and where it runs to?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Ive just had a look and there should be a pipe attached that runs alongside the rubber air intake pipe, then it runs down behind the air box to a valve on the black evap canister cylinder on the passenger side chassis leg behind the air box. Ill try and get some pics before i leave tonight and post them up when i get home. :thumbsup
The tube that the pipe goes onto will defiatly be drawing un metred air into the throttle body.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorted, cheers mate, it was routed down to near the radiator for some reason!

All is well now:D

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's ticking over fine now, but still getting a bit of 'chugging' in 1st and 2nd and when slowing down. heard a small backfire as well:frown

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
See if it gets any better over the next couple of days mate, if not let us know coz ive got the 318 sat here for any component locations or pics etc.
Another thing to check is the big rubber air pipe from the air box to the throttle body. These can split too mate. :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Check over all pipe work for splits, if all good then get the emissions checked and/or whip a plug out when the engine is hot and see if they are black, if they are black then you are running rich, could be lambda sensor or similar

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check over all pipe work for splits, if all good then get the emissions checked and/or whip a plug out when the engine is hot and see if they are black, if they are black then you are running rich, could be lambda sensor or similar
No splits or leaks on any of the pipework, pulled a plug and it is indeed black and sooty!
Is there any way of cleaning the lambda sensor? I'm only asking that cos i'm skint till i get payed on 10th march:frown

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
No splits or leaks on any of the pipework, pulled a plug and it is indeed black and sooty!
Is there any way of cleaning the lambda sensor? I'm only asking that cos i'm skint till i get payed on 10th march:frown
No sorry mate, Once they are buggered thats it. I think they are about £50 from Gsf. :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update, i had the BM in at work today to change the discs and pads, which was a nice straight forward job:)

While i had it up on stands, i got the electrical contact cleaner out and sprayed the inside of the lambda sensor plug, the throttle position sensor plug and any other plug around the engine bay that i thought might benefit.
I then cleaned the ICV with carb cleaner and trimmed a small vacuum hose that went to the pressure regulator on the end of the injection tube (Number 6 on this link:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CA12&mospid=47434&btnr=13_0366&hg=13&fg=15 )

Dropped it off the stands, fired it up and..... it now runs like a mouse in slippers:D

It is now purring like it should and i'm a happy camper once again.

A big thanks to everyone who advised and offered ideas:thumbsup

Can one of the mods add a fixed to the title please?

This site is worth it's weight in gold

Reactions: Ronnie
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.