BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope this is the right forum!

I think i may have an earth problem on my 316 E36 Saloon, it starts ok, but the tickover is quite 'lumpy' and when it's being lumpy, the lights (interior, dash and headlights) all dim in time with the engine, when i rev it, the lights all pick up again!

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for replying, i'll have a check round it when i drag myself out of bed! (night shift)
Also, i had to jump it off this morning to get home, and on the way home, everything just got dimmer and dimmer, could it be an alternator fault? or battery??

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Could be a duff battery then. If you have a multimeter you could check the voltage of the battery. Should be around 12 volts or just over. Then start the car and check the voltage when it's running. It should be around 14 volts. You should be able to increase the revs without the voltage dropping.
Otherwise, a garage should be able to check this for you.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, latest installment!
Borrowed a new battery (got a mate who works at a motor factors), hooked it up, 12.2v before starting, 11.3v when running! Increase the revs and the voltage drops! So i guess it looks like the alternator has kicked it's legs up then?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Try the multimeter on the rear of the alternator to be safe, if still the same then you need a alternator

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reading from the rear of the alternator fluctuates between 14.5 and 0.3! Looks like i'm off to the scrappy at 9, no bed for me till midnight tonight then

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Right, latest installment!
Borrowed a new battery (got a mate who works at a motor factors), hooked it up, 12.2v before starting, 11.3v when running! Increase the revs and the voltage drops! So i guess it looks like the alternator has kicked it's legs up then?
Certainly sounds like the alternator to me:frown

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would check the connections at the alternator. Are they clean and tight and is the alternator getting a good earth connection
Didn't make it to the scrappy, my bed was calling me too strong!:)

I've just taken the connections of the back of the alternator, cleaned and refitted.
It's now reading 19.36v at the back of it, and 12.10v at the battery when running!

It starts ok first couple of goes, but then struggles after that....
:confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
19.36 is miles too high! sounds like the regulator is toast on the alternator.

Connect a jump lead from the engine to a good body earth then re-test the charge rate, if the charge rate goes up then you have a bad earth, if not then connect the jump lead from alternator positive post to battery positive post and check charge rate. If good then you have a live lead fault

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorted!!!

Live lead was faulty, replaced and jobs a good un, 14.2v at last.

I'm so happy i've even renamed the car, it was Big, Red, German [email protected]&tard.....
It's now Sally Gunnell...not much to look at but a cracking runner!

Thanks to gildersol, ronnie and A20 RYM for all your advice:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Sorted!!!

Live lead was faulty, replaced and jobs a good un, 14.2v at last.

I'm so happy i've even renamed the car, it was Big, Red, German [email protected]&tard.....
It's now Sally Gunnell...not much to look at but a cracking runner!

Thanks to gildersol, ronnie and A20 RYM for all your advice:thumbsup
Excellent News mate, really pleased you got to the bottom of it and great that it didn't cost a small fortune:thumbsup

I will add a (FIXED) to your thread title:cool

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change of plan... it's still playing up:mad

Thought i'd sorted it, went for something to eat with the missus, came back, jumped in the BM, turned the key and ....nothing!
Battery completely drained

What readings should i get off both connections on the back of the alternator?
I'm about ready for torching it:frown

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All sorted:D

Went to scrappy this morning, got an alternator, some rear light bulb holders (mine was missing a couple) and a stereo harness, £10 for the lot!!
Just put the alternator in and it's all fixed:thumbsup

Thanks to everyone for all the advice/ideas

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
All sorted:D

Went to scrappy this morning, got an alternator, some rear light bulb holders (mine was missing a couple) and a stereo harness, £10 for the lot!!
Just put the alternator in and it's all fixed:thumbsup

Thanks to everyone for all the advice/ideas
Are you sure it's fixed now:rofl

Faulty Alternator then:hihi

I will wait for your reply before adding the (FIXED) again

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, all sorted now, i could tell straight away....everything seemed brighter:lol2

Glad i found this forum though, good honest advice. I was a member of a Ford forum, i won't name it, everyone seemed to be a :censored who talked down to you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts