BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The electric windows, the central locking and the courtest light have all failed.
although the light works manually. I have checked every single fuse in the fuse box four times. I have tried to locate the comfort relay but I am satisfied there isn't one fitted to my car. Apaprently I have a GM, general module. I have renewed this as well, not new but from a breaker.
A few years ago the car was in for bodywork repairs and whilst in the garage, the keys were stolen. As I did not have spares for the aftermarket alarm already fitted they fitted a new Clifford alarm.
The alarm (I think) drains my car rather quickly, when parked up. I only drive my beloved car about 2000 miles a year. When not driven I disconnect the battery. Questions are, 1. Does the module need to be reprogrammed, especially as I disconnect the battery for extended periods. 2, Could the alarm be giving me problems. 3, Is there anything alse I should be considering and looking at.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated and a decent discount on any powder coating you may require, alloy wheels as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My old car 1992 320i had a comfort relay so im sure yours will too, its the blue one and can be found behind the glove box. Your alarm shouldnt drain the battery at all and everytime you disconnect the battery your resetting the adaptive settings on the car which means it has to relearn each time.

Check the boot loom wiring for any breaks.

Any fuses going from the alarm module to the loom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Singhters,
Definitely no relay, in fact I still have the new blue one I purchased as I originally thought it was that. Boot loom was broken at one time but I re-soldered them all, so maybe now one or two have come adrift again I will check them. There is a fuse from the alarm CPU but it is good.
Would you please explain a lttle more about the resetting of the adaptive settings. I think the problem may be here. Does it "learn" itself or do I need to get it plugged into a software programme.
The blue relay was replaced by a GM after 1995 but were fitted before 1995 on models abroad, my car was an import.
thanks again

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Read this re alarms, assuming you have a UK BMW system fitted...

[url]http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/e36-alarm-identification-guide-3t-2t-3g-ews-t39173/[/URL]

Can you post (or PM me with) the last 7 numbers of the VIN so I can ID the exact wiring diagram. Where was you car imported from?

These symptoms are classic for Comfort Relay but and / or Bootlid wires but you have discounted or dealt with those. The other usual suspect is a corroded earth connector under the passenger side footwell carpet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts