BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently picked up an E34 540i which is in pretty good overall condition except for the noise coming from the engine bay. Its entirely possible I've bought a dud but it was pretty cheap so I'm hoping this is a relatively straightforward fix!

I've made a quick video to see if anyone is able to identify or at least give me some ideas as to what could be making the whining noise.

be

Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so too originally, but the noise seems to be coming from inside the block. I have since changed the engine oil but it doesn't seem to have helped a great deal. The noise does quieten down once the engine starts to get warm but its starting to become a bit of a worry. Is there anything inside the block that could be making that kind of noise or are my ears deceiving me and it is in fact an alternator or pulley?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't yet had time to remove the belt, I'm waiting for a new one to arrive as I'll replace it anyway, but I have noticed something about the noise. If I start the car from cold it will make that noise until I stop the engine no matter how long it has been running. If I start the car when it is warm the noise has gone completely.

I'm out of ideas but I'll add more info once I've had the belt off and tested from cold, but I'm beginning to think this could be something a little more sinister.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've borrowed a mates stethoscope, and it appears the sound is coming from the torque converter. Fingers crossed that a gearbox fluid, filter and gasket replacement will do the trick..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For completeness sake, I have completed a gearbox filter and fluid change and the noise has now gone. Just a few more little niggles to get sorted and i'll be a happy E34 540i owner :thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts