BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on most websites selling E34 computers (inc eBay) that they ask for the last 7 numbers of the VIN# to determine if the computer is suitable.
I inquired of one, but they told me the computer they had wasn't compatible.

Is this because of the series of computer and the plugs in the harness or something like that, or is it because my car may not have all the correct sensors to feed the info to the computer?

My car only has the base clock, temp and date.
The last 7 numbers of my VIN are GD11569.

Can anyone knowledgable tell me if a full OEM computer can be fitted to my car, or am I wasting my time looking?
Best regards,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great - thank you. Both these articles would suggest that any computer could be fitted.

However, there's one thing that the two articles contradict each other on - perhaps someone can assist.
The first article says that the 525 and upward spec'ed models do have this coding plug needed for the computer to recognise the vehicle, while the 520 and 518 don't.
But the second article says that the 525 onwards will not have the coding plug and it will need to be purchased from a dealer.

Can anyone confirm which is correct?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Apparently there are 2 types of OBC IV, one is for a 518/520 and the second is for the 525 upwards.

The OBC for the 518/520 has the Green Coding Plug in the back of the OBC instead of being in the Instrument Cluster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently there are 2 types of OBC IV, one is for a 518/520 and the second is for the 525 upwards.

The OBC for the 518/520 has the Green Coding Plug in the back of the OBC instead of being in the Instrument Cluster.
Thank you. Now I know the questions to ask when I find one.
Appreciate all the assist.
Two good articles to read and great advice.

best regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.