BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newly aquired 525i Touring has the express window fitted to the drivers door.

However, its very touchy to operate - especially in the up direction.
It takes several short sharp jabs at the switch to get it to continue closing by itself.
It doesn't seem to be the switch itself, because the window moves every time its touched - its just very difficult to get the timing right for continuous movement.

Does anyone know if this is adjustable?
Perhaps by a sequence of button pressing, or perhaps by a small screwdriver adjust inside the module that operates the windows?

I've been through my Bently Manual, but it doesn't mention anything.

regards,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a block of four switches in the centre consol next to the handbrake.
All four switches look the same.
There's a small switch for locking out the rear windows as well.

The drivers switch is not designated differently in any way. Its only that if you read the handbook you discover that if you give the drivers window switch a short jab instead of holding it, the window will travel up or down on its own.

I don't have a camera here right now - hope the description helps.

·
Banned
478 Posts
hmmm...

I think i get what you mean... i had a similar problem, id open the window and when i closed it, id have to repeatly jab it up and down to stop it.. I just replaced the switches and it rectified the problem.

The contacts get extremely dirty and the contact is'nt as good as it used to be thanks to fluff, dust and dirt... So you'd have to keep jabbing it until it gets good contact...

i had this on my old 7 series aswell which uses the same switches..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again Mighty.
Actually, my problem is quite the other way around.
The window is very responsive to the switch. If just touched, the window moves immediately and if its on express up or down, it will stop immediately the switch is pressed.

The problem I'm trying to describe is that to operate the express open or close, you only need to press the switch for a short time - ie: it has a window (pardon the pun) of pressing which will activate the express mode, and if held for longer then it will just operate normally and stop when you lift off the switch if you've been holding it down.

What I'm finding is that that "window" to activate the express mode is extremely short - its literally just a sharp jab. The window moves immediately even with the fastest jab, so I'm not sure how it can be a poor connection in the switch itself because of the way the window motor moves immediately.

Its very difficult to get just the right time frame to activate the express mode is what I'm trying to say.
Putting the window down in express mode seems a bit easier than getting it closed again. It is easier to get the timing right to get it opening in express mode, but then trying to close it in express mode is impossible to get first or second time. It takes me a few jabs at tiny differnet durations to find just the right time period to get it to go into express mode upwards.

I guess a good place to start is to try and clean the switches and perhaps spray them with some contact cleaner and work them out of the car for a while.

But it seems to me that maybe there's an adjustment of that "window of opportunity" to activate the express mode.
I know in my late model Merc, there was a sequence of ignition key and power windows to get them operating in unison after the battery had been disconnected for a while, and so I wondered whether the BMW might have a similar sequence to adjust the express window activation period.

Hope that's explained my dilemma a bit better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.