BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1993 E34 520i Trans Prog Error

685 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Twincam1986 
#1 ·
I've tried searching but I can't quite find a similar problem to mine...

I've bought the above car today (M50 engine). I didn't realise when I bought it that the transmission programme error light is illuminated as the display is a little pixelated, but it is! Driving normally, the transmission seems to change up/down as normal but I've found that it will not kick down on the pedal and it changes up at around 3500rpm regardless of pedal position. It isn't stuck in one gear so doesn't appear (to me) to be in limp mode. It feels as though it is stuck in economy mode but the mode selector doesn't appear to be doing anything.

After playing around with it today, I've found the following:

The display is pixellated but it's definitately displaying trans prog error once the car is started. With just the ignition on, you can make out the gear selector position and the mode selection. When it starts, this changes to a cog and is backlit orange.

Most posts I'm reading suggest it locks into 3rd or 4th when this error is displayed but I'm definitely getting 1-4. It feels normal under regular driving conditions, but it will change up at about 3200rpm in each gear when floored and won't kick down. It doesn't seem to go into 5th (or lockup, whichever it is) but revs beyond 3200rpm fine in 4th.

I've had the selector switch apart and cleaned the contacts but it made no difference. I also cleaned the mode selector switch. I did notice whilst doing that, that the selector itself doesn't lock into position, i.e you can select any gear position with the engine running or not, without pushing the button on the gear selector.

I checked the battery as I read that a voltage drop when starting can upset the system. The battery is 3 weeks old (fitted before I bought it) but is 56AH when the handbook recommends 65AH. I tried starting it with a jump pack attached in case it wasn't getting enough power with the 56AH but it made no difference and the car starts on the button with the smaller battery.

I need to read the codes really but trawling around to find somewhere with the kit to read a 1993 BMW gearbox ECU doesn't fill me with anticipation. I'm near Warrington if anyone knows of somewhere or can think of anything else to try?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.