BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

A lovely person has just informed me that it is possible to convert my 1993 318i E30 convertible's roof from an electric (which has stopped working) to a permanent manual way of using it and gosh, I didn't know that was a possibility and is definitely worth considering.

Please can you tell me many things?

How this can be done? Do I need to buy a kit and if so, where do I get one from?.... and does anyone know someone experienced who could change it for me in north London please?

Also, does a person need to be strong to raise and lower the roof if it is converted to manual? I'm a 5.3" girlie wimp!

Many thanks,

Truffle x

·
Registered
961 Posts
Did this a few years back.

The roof isn't that heavy, you should be OK.

It's not that complicated to do, but you have to buy some bits, there isn't a kit, actually best option is to find a manual one at a breakers. You can buy all the bits from the dealer but they may be quite expensive. Dealer will also tell you the roof itself is diferent, true it's a diferent part number but it's fine.

From memory, there is a safety catch on the horeshoe you need to fit, plus a main catch that goes from the handle on the inside of the N/S/R quarter via 2 cables, you also need to install the dampers which hold the horseshoe up, although these tend to fail anyway so no big deal if you don't fit them.

You have to remove all the mechanism from inside the boot and the rods which engage with the roof.

What's wrong with the roof on the car, they can be fixed!

About a 2 hour job, sorry I can't do it for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts