BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. i have a 93 318is that is a 5spd and has a problem shifter where it will not go out of neutral, like it will not physically go into any gear.. im sure all the gears are fine and the teeth are ok but it feels really weird just trying to put it into gear, the clutch feels fine and is pretty new ( it is engaging and disengaging fine to and i know its not that) it feels like there is no way to even find first gear. i have checked the shift linkage and bushings there all just fine .. i was thinking maybe shift fork? or maybe sliders jumped? i need to know also if anyone else has had this problem and if its a simple fix because ... i hate changing transmissions ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant get into gears while it is running or without it running.. (the shifter will just not go into any gear at all, its like when you try to shift it, it just goes right back to neutral .. lets say if you had a bad syncro then it would be hard to get it into gear .. well mines acts like that except it doesnt go into any gear at all period ... i popped the drain plug and didnt see any gear grinded shavings (thank god) but i did find 2 springs that came out .. 1 was about a half inch long and 3 cm wide .. and the 2nd was about a quarter of and inch long and maybe almost a half inch wide)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I will PM a guy who I think will be able to assist you further:thumbsup

Not liking the sound of finding two springs in the oil that came out:yikes

Have you started looking for replacement gear boxes yet?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
yea i was thinking if its really bad i may just do a re-build on it because that way i will know it wont fail again but thanks i would really appreciate some good help on this.
I've PM'd 5 members who may be able to offer assistance. They will receive their message when they log in tomorrow, possibly the evening though:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I have read somewhere that E36 shifter springs can break in the box and it is a re-build job. :frown
Im not 100% on the info so if you dont get any response ill try and find some for you. Im not home till the weekend but ill look for you when i get back :frown
Sorry for being vague, im sure ive read something and just want to check :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone i appreciate it very much .. i am just hoping its not gonna cost me hundreds ... i have no problem with a re-build, i feel much better about re-building transmissions then buying used and i have a good amount of experience with re-building transmissions (mostly hondas and acuras)... so any helpful info is absolutly great because this is my first BMW so im not as familiar with the eurpoean cars as i am with japanese.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Personally i would stick a second hand box in. These bmw are not common for manual gearbox problems. I think you may have been unlucky :frown
If you re-build the box i would love to see some pics as ive never re-built a box :cool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.