BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.
I thought it was about time to show my latest project. I picked it up just after christmas. I was planning to break it for the engine to put into my 318i, but after 500miles i couldnt break it and decided to sell my 318i.
It is a calypso red 325i se with full grey heated leather. I have full service history with it and even the original invoice. It also came with a scorpion le mans stainless exhaust.
In the last two weeks ive put new shocks and springs on, given it a full service, new cam cover and timing chain gaskets, mtec door mouldings, an mtec rear valance, my Alpina 17" replicas and clear lights all round.
Inside ive added a z3 short shifter and Alpina gear nob. Jbl 6x9 speakers kenwood footwell speakers and an Alpine ipod headunit.
Here are some pics:

Still got a few jobs to do, gonna get both sides painted to tidy up the arches etc, and im planning to add an Alpina front spoiler. Im also going to swap the grey dash and doorcards for black ones, as im not too keen on the grey.Thats about it for the moment. Any suggestions or ideas welcome.
Sorry about the dirt but i did wash it yesterday, cant keep it clean in this weather:frown
Cheers for looking :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, just thought i would post an update coz ive been busy today.
The car is going into the bodyshop on mon for both sides to be painted and the rest to be cut and polished. :D

Some of the problem scabby areas

Ive decided to change the front bumper to the facelift style bumper which Imo looks more modern with the genuine Alpina front splitter. Ive ordered a genuine stripe kit in silver for the bumper from sytner.
Not happy with the price at £60 for some decals though, but cant get them anywhere else:confused

The splitter fixed to the bumper

Here she is looking a bit sorry for herself

Also ordered new window rubbers as the old ones bent when removing them:mad
Should be back together next weekend with the new Eibach suspension and fresh paint. :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Updated with some pics from my mobile:
Just been baked :D

Just started fitting her up

And here are a few mobile pics of the final result. Sitting on the Eibach springs and looking a lot cleaner.:D:D

Got a few little jobs left.Ive got a pair of new lower arms and bushes to change, ive also got new tie rods for both sides of the rack.
Ill get some better pics when the stripe kit comes from Alpina for the front spoiler.
Im really happy with the results, the car looks a lot cleaner. The pics dont show how much it shines now. :cool

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update.
Got the decals fitted to the spoiler last weekend :D

I fitted my HID kit today. I got them on Joe9087's recommendation and i must say, im well impressed. After finding somewhere to mount the ballast resistors it all went brilliant!

First i took the headlights out and decided to re mount this earth block and mount the resistors there. It keeps them cool and out of the way because there is no room for them anywhere else :frown
Extra large washer bottle, and alarm siren in the way :frown

Here are the earths i relocated.

Resistor mounted in place, had to drill the inner wing to screw the bracket secure.

Here is the modifed headlamp rear, the extra wires are for the HID bulb

And the finished drivers side with the ballast resistor tucked up out of the way.

Resistor mounted on the passenger side

And here is the finished passenger side.

And the finished result :thumbsup

Just got to fit the new steering tie rods and lower arms next week. :D

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thought I would give a quick update as im having a quiet sunday..:D
Nothing new cosmetically just a fair bity of work on the mechanicals...

I fitted a pair of new lower arms and tie rods, also fitted some eccentric bushes but decided to go the powerflex route now, so these will be coming out next week..;)

After a few problems i fitted a pair of stainless manifolds. They have made a slight improvement to the car, its deffo a lot smoother accelerating through the rev range now and they do give the engine a better exhaust note.

Old and new manifolds together.

Here they are fitted, was difficult to get decent pics...:frown

I also fitted a Dave-F indiction kit, this is an excellent induction kit. Its not cheap but the throttle is so much more responsive and it sound awsome..:D

Also changed the water pump from a plastic impeller to a metal impeller type. Was lucky i did change it, notice the cracks running from the centre spindle on the old one...:eek

Old and new...

I also changed the timing chain tensioner and the V-belt rollers as these had got noisy.

Hopefully there should be another update soon, as i now have a black leather sports interior, new clocks, powerflex control arm rear bushes and some coilovers waiting to be fitted.....;)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right guys. Another update this week. Im still waiting for the coilovers..:frown
BUT ive got me black leather seats and door cards in...:thumbsup
Just on my search for a few interior plastics now....:cool

The sports seats are so much better than the standard seats. Much more supportive and a very good upgrade for any E36 IMO.

As some of you know I have had a problem with a water leak. I suspected it was from the sunroof, so I sealed it up to sort out later...:embarrassed
WELL, it still leaking.....:mad
I got the hump today and decided to get to the bottom of it. I found that the main seal that clamps between the sunroof and the roof has failed. This is where the water is getting in...:mad
So, ill be on the phone to Sytner next week and ordering £100 worth of sunroof seals and ill have the sunroof cartridge out...:eek
The headlining will be replaced with a black M3 lining.
Here are a few pics from today....

Headlining removed...:D

Im not too worried as the old headlining was falling apart anyway...:hihi
Notice the rear held up with tape and staples....;)

And finally I put the standard front bumper back on. I've caught the Alpina splitter a few times now over the two hump backed bridges near my house, and dont want to wreck it...:mad
It will go back on for shows and meets, but the standard one will stay for normal use...:thumbsup

Thats it for now. Some more updates soon....:silly

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been busy today. Got the sunroof cartridge out and ordered new seals from Sytner and a new sunroof velour in black...:thumbsup
But a couple of the seals are on back order so may be a week.
Now driving whatever we have around at work...:frown
A bit annoyed as the seats had to come out to removed the sunroof assembly but these things happen.

Interior out, notice the beer crate drivers seat....:hihi

And the sunroof out.....

And just for fun, took a couple of pics of all the parts i seem to have stored at work......:rofl

Time for a clear out when the car is fixed.....:hihi

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A smallish update this week as progress has been a bit slow because of a very heavy workload...:frown
I think it may still be off the road for a couple of weeks as Ive decided to do everything before I drive it again. Just trying not to rush.....:hihi

Well, i managed to strip out the sunroof mechanism to repair the broke clips and re align the cables and replace the fabric shuttle for the black M3 type.

Here is the old shuttle....

And the brand spanking new one....

Here are a few boring pics of the stripped sunroof mechanism. Now this is a job I really dont want to do again....:mad
It been a bloody awful job.

After getting fed up with that, I decided to do a few other jobs. I manged to get another parcel shelf, but it was badly sunbleached..:mad
It also had the gap for a centre stop lamp, so ive installed one to match..

Here is the shelf as i got it..

After a quick spray...Looks much better..:D

I also installed the Powerflex control arm bushes.

And these arrived last week, I will hopefully fit them the weekend after next as ive decided to have this weekend off to chill.....

Hopefully the sunroof will be back in soon.....;)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its nearly all done. Sorry about the crap quality of the pics, my camera phone has decided to throw a wobbly....:mad

The sunroof and headlining went back in last week.

My black rooflining....:D

Centre brake light wired in and working..

Changed the RTAB's for powerflex ones. I didnt get many pics as I was in a rush on fri night....:hihi

And the coilovers and new front brakes in.....:D

The coilovers fitted with no problems at all. Until i went to set them up and the lowest I could go was about 40mm on the front as the base of the springs rubbed the inside sidewall of the tyre...:mad:mad

Finished result..

I wanted It lower, so today Ive replaced the front tyres for a pair of Falkens. Ive downsized them from 215/45 17 to 205/40 17 which has given me JUST enough clearance to drop the car even further..
Ive left the rear tyres as 215/45's as I quite like the stance it gives. Ill post some decent pics once ive adjusted the suspension settings...:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spent sunday fitting some new I.C.E...:cool
Many thanks to A20 RYM for his help with the install, especially as i spent 2 hours messing around with the dreaded chrome dash rings...:hihi
The original plan was to fit the black dashboard, but we soon found out the the coupe and saloon do not share the same dashboard...:eek

Fitted new MB Quart front component speakers, and a 600w JBL GTO6000 amp. All the speakers were rewired using thicker grade speaker cable which meant running all the new speaker wires through the car from the amp in the boot.
A20 kindly showed me (he did it:hihi) how to route the tweeter wires through the original door looms...:thumbsup

The results are excellent, the stereo sounds superb now...:cool
Here are some more pics...

Here are the crossovers for the components...

See the difference in the old kenwoods and the new MB Quarts..

New Rca leads, which were routed through the centre to keep them away from the power leads..

I was tempted to shut Rym in the boot....:hihi

And the Amp all in place..

The dreaded dial rings...:silly

Rym's impression of LiloCollinsy.....:rofl

After installing all this, we fired it up and it sounded cack...:mad
The front speakers were distorting, and we tried to set up the amp but couldnt work out what was wrong.
After figuring out how to switch the headunits internal amp off :embarrassed, the sound was excellent..:cool
Thanks again to Rym, and thanks to Mrs Rym for the supplied coffee..:thumbsup

Thanks all for looking...:D

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a great deal happened over the last couple of weeks as I had the Mrs car to sort out and a car free holiday....:D
I started getting twitchy as Ive not done anything for a while...:hihi
Yesterday I fitted a new fuel filter, it has been sat in my desk drawer for 2 months as they are fiddly on a 6 cyl E36...:hihi
Fitted the new cam and crank sensors, and changed the gearbox and diff oils...:thumbsup

I have been reading about braided clutch lines and people recon it improves the clutch pedal feel. Its quite a common mod on M3's but not common on standard E36's...:confused
I sourced a hose from http://www.hosesolutions.org.uk/.

The old rubber hose is the top one..

I could see there were slight differences in the pipes. The old hose had a solid right angle pipe intp the gearbox slave cylinder. As I had a brake pipe flairing tool this was no problem, I just made the pipe to fit the new hose..:thumbsup

Notice the difference in the ends...:frown

Flairing the new section of pipe..

And here is the new pipe with the unions on...

And here is the new pipe made up..

And hey presto, all fitted to the car...:D

I bled the clutch using a vacuum bleeder, and it didnt take long. I did about 30 miles in the car last night and the clutch does seem better. The clutch action is a lot smoother. Combined with the short shift and new gear oil you can really rag it through the gears now....:thumbsup
Also the engine is a lot smoother with the new cam and crank sensors too.

Next job, is to refit my Alpina bumper and get her cleaned up again for the BMW car club show at Gaydon...:cool

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I finally pulled my finger out and got the black dash fitted. It looks so much better and im well happy now...:thumbsup

All stripped....:eek

Going back together....:D

Back together....:cool

Here is when I got the car...

And now......:cool

I also added some M3 wood trim at the same time.:D

Also swapped the headlight glasses from the 328 I was breaking as mine looked awful. My old lense was the top one...:mad

Its looking a lot better now. I spent the day cleaning and detailing it ready for the BMW festival at gaydon tomorrow and refitted the Alpina bumper. Just gotta be careful as there is only about 2 inches of clearance on the front now..:eek

And the 325 also has a friend to keep it company. Ive been using this Audi A8 sport I have been lent by a customer...:cool

Ive also bought a decent camera now, so the pics should hopefully be better quality now. Not much left to do, some more paintwork and a couple more mods then ill be happy...:hihi

Thanks again for looking.....:D

And also a big Thank you to a couple of members on here for supplying me loads of parts. Big thanks to PMB and MESS....:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been a bit quiet lately as ive had a load of other things to sort out.
I have been to BW chiptune and had the ECU chipped, so it now drives much better.
Typically there is now a rush before santa pod on sat...:hissyfit

Ive been having a funny noise for a few moments when driving off, and suspected the handbrake shoes to be broken, or rust in the drums. Didnt really want to drive to santa pod with the noise, so had a look and found the handbrake drum rusty. Lucky i had discs, pads and handbrake shoes all in stock...:hihi

Also managed to get hold of a spare set of calipers which I have painted with silver caliper paint to tidy them up a bit. Also painted the centres and edges of the new discs with black VHT paint. Hopefully it will hold the rust back for a few weeks....:cool

New handbrake shoes...

The new discs and nice shiny calipers all fitted...:thumbsup

Just thought I would show that I dont always work on a ramp, had no room in the workshop and had to work on the floor....:)

Gonna fit the front calipers tomorrow and paint the front discs. Clean inside and polish the alloys all ready for the pod...

Also got hold of these (cheers Plumb..:thumbsup)

An M-tech rear bumper and skirts, which will be fitted aroung christmas time when the car goes back into the bodyshop.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nearly ready for the pod now. The front brakes and hoses are all fitted. I think they look much better with a lick of paint...:cool
Also cleaned and polished the insides of the wheels.

Fitted the Alpina bumper ready for the pod and gave the car a wash. Cant be arsed with polishing it again as its still shiny...:hihi
Just got to clean the glass and hoover it out and im ready for the weekend...:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been a bit quiet with her recently. But fitted some Z3M clocks...:cool

Also picked up an M3 Lsd which will be fitted when I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks...:D

Thanks again for reading...:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was a bit unexpected but my mate turned up today and decided to paint my Mtech skirts and M3 rear bumper for me...:D
He decided my everyday front bumper was looking tatty as well, so he painted my spare facelift bumper as well...:D

The skirts will be fitted tomorrow and the bumpers will be fitted on wed while im off work..

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got the lot fitted on friday as the boss was away, so nicked one of the ramps...:hihi

Couldnt get many decent pics as it was bloody raining when I collected the car from work yesterday..:frown
Will give it a wash and polish this week when I get back from London and get some better pics, but im happy with them...:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyway. Back on topic....:rofl

I had the M3 exhaust fitted last week and thought i would get some pics up. Also had the cats removed as well, I didnt bother getting any pics of the decat because its just two bits of pipe. I ended getting the job done by a local exhaust fabricators. They removed the cats and welded in stainless tubing. To fit the rear box they cut the M3 pipes off as they are a larger diameter than the original pipe, they welded in a joiner section and secured the pipe with U clamps...:)

Well happy with the result and the exhaust is one of my fav mods so far. The car sounds really nice but not loud. Removing the cats has deffo made a difference to performance, and the car pulls like a train now..:D

Here are some pics, please excuse the dirt as ive not washed it since the potters bar meet...:eek

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, the car has cost me a small fortune this month but a
few more bits been added. I couldnt help it, but i had to fit an M-Tech front bumper, with the correct air ducts...:D

I also managed to get a US spec M3 engine cover, bit unecessary but I like it. Just got to get the correct nut covers as I forgot to order them..:embarrassed

And best of all I managed to get hold of a set of BBS RC split rims (style 5) They have been professionally refurbed with a really nice bright silver powdercoat and look mint. I will most prob get the rims split in the summer and get the rims polished, but they will be summer use only then...:cool

Will add some more pics when the car is clean and the rims are fitted, i need to get my tyres swapped to the rims in the new year..:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 137 Posts