BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a v nice silver coupe (e36) for about 5 years (69k genuine miles) and it's in the garage getting a nice paintjob at the moment and I thought I'd stick a nice new stereo in it when it comes home, the current one is from manufacture so it doesn't even have a cd player.

Is it possible for me to simply buy any stereo from say argos (i get a staff discount) and bang it in myself? Or will I need special bits and bobs, or dio I need to buy a stereo with specific connectors?

I know it's a very basic question but I know nothing of such things.

Any recommendation for stereo choices? Should I put better speakers in? preferably not visible? What will impress my 10 year old son?...within reason of course, because if it's too blingy the neighbours will think I'm having my mid life crisis, which I am but I don't want to advertise it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You will need an adaptor which isn't expensive.
As for choice of HU-I will personally always go for Alpine-they are in my opinion simply the best adn you can do fun stuff like change the colour of the button lights to match your dash clocks so looks like it fits in.You can also upgrade all you speakers-You have some in the footwells which won't be seen-You can use all the existing places where you have speakers just upgrade the speakers :thumbsup
You may want to think about putting in amplifiers to which will take your stereo to another level-Basically options are limitless....:thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do I just get adaptor from any car stereo shoppe or halfords or bmw dealer?

which adapter

Alpine sounds v.good

any good places to get all the right kit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Halfords do the adaptor-You may find it cheaper on Ebay.
My problem with halfords is they charge way over the odds for this type of equipment-By all means go to halfords-check the HU's out-make a note of the one you like and then try googling it on the net-Will save you a few bob.
In halfords they sell a range of adaptors-you can look for one for BMW.:thumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts