Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
You must get a million of these.
My Central locking has officially killed itself. I've checked the
  • Fuses
  • Boot Wiring (was still perfect)
  • Wiring in all Doors
  • Battery
And Now, nothing will lock/Unlock using the Driver or Trunk boot lid. (Front Passenger side Actuator is dead.) It has been having issues locking since i've had it (Last Wednesday,) once the car was locked (Door pins drop) They would pop up, And a second turn would secure the car.
But. Now nothing. Not a single noise from any of the actuators, The fuel door stays shut, not a single sound.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
It turns out that the Passenger side door actuator wasn't seated in the clips properly :duh
So today, I pulled the trim off again and re-wired/Re-seated the actuator, and the whole system is working beautifully!.
Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Standard Central locking system, no alarm that i know of.

EDIT:
Central Locking is working again, All that i have done is lifted the hood.....
i reckon it will mess up again. so any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I checked fuse #43, It is 10A instead of 5A, Any major issues with this?
Thanks.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
If it should be a 5A, then put a 5A back in... Possibly, the previous owner put a 10A in because it kept blowing 5A fuses.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If all you did was lifting the bonnet, I'm thinking it might have something to do with those open/closed sensors?

I'm guessing one of them (doors, bonnet, boot) is stuck on open, and when you try locking the car, it will unlock itself again.

TBH, I'm having the same problem with mine (lock, unlock, then lock again) every since I bought it, but I couldn't be bothered with finding the fault.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've noticed that if it dosent lock with 2 Turns to the left (Right Hand Drive) That if i open and shut the door harder it'll work in 2.
Kinda Frustrating...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shamefull bump...
It's Dead ._.
Not a single noise from the Central locking system, only manual door locking/unlocking...
Any idea's? I've had the ZVM module out, and inside it looks perfect (what's up with all the resin they put in it?)
Also, My 'Comfort' relay is shot, so repairing that when i find my soldering iron.
Connected Issues? Or convenient timing?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'm Positive that there is a module (
)
Part #1 "Part No: 61351384604"
It also has 'ZVM' Written on it ;)
Your probably right then mate. I've just read on here that some earlier cars had control modules in the doors for either the electric windows or central locking, can't remember which but anyway it's probably worth replacing that red comfort relay and see how things go :thumbsup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
can't remember which but anyway it's probably worth replacing that red comfort relay and see how things go :thumbsup
Red?! i fixed up the blue one, but the Red one aswell? Doh!
(The one next to the one that controls the windows, or the one above the drivers side woofer?)

Edit: Anyone with a methord to diagnose the ZVM module with a Multimeter?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Red?! i fixed up the blue one, but the Red one aswell? Doh!
(The one next to the one that controls the windows, or the one above the drivers side woofer?)

Edit: Anyone with a methord to diagnose the ZVM module with a Multimeter?
I'm 99.9% sure its the red one as I read up on it whilst installing my toad alarm (its used for full closure of sunroof and windows) on earlier e36's.

I don't know how you'd check a ZVM module, there's so many pins. Have you got a friend you can swap it with? And have you had a look in the passenger foot well for rusty ground connectors? - there should be a full 8" x 5" wire junction box down there..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably a bit late in the day Blake but you may find the answers in spirit's links? http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f74/bmw-e36-the-links-that-answers-all-your-t88685/ :thumbsup
Cheers mate, i'll have a better read of them at work :hihi

And have you had a look in the passenger foot well for rusty ground connectors? - there should be a full 8" x 5" wire junction box down there..
oh no.... not there :frown i've been trying to dry that area out recently, but havent opened that black cover.... looks like it's going to be a mission tomorrow! Cheers. :thumbsup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uh ohhh

Hey Guys....
Sooo, back came the carpet tonight (yay for 11pm car work:hihi)
The 'Junction box' (mounted on the firewall, against the floor pan) Is Fine, No corrosion (that i can see), no rust.
BUT, the Wire cover (further towards the seat, nearly under it) Has hardcore rust :frown
The wire's are fine, the grounds are in the dashboard (Whaat?) and it all looks ok......
One thing... if i open Any door with the ignition in #1st/#2nd (Accessories/On) The comfort relay has a fit, clicking on/off with the window power and interior theater lighting.... Are these faults related? I've just fixed up the comfort Relay (blue one) As the windows weren't working at all :mad
BUT AHWELLL
So are the joys of owning a BMW aye :rofl

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had the same problem and it was the wiring under the pass seat, you need to take the sat out and peel back the carpet. Then you will see the wiring blocks check all of these, mine was will gone but after i soldered them back togrther all was fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the same problem and it was the wiring under the pass seat, you need to take the sat out and peel back the carpet. Then you will see the wiring blocks check all of these, mine was will gone but after i soldered them back togrther all was fine.
Ahhhh Alright, thanks mate, i'll get around to that when i have a spare second.:hihi
Cheers mate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts