BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes (especially when it's very cold) the tappets on my car are noisey for a a few seconds on start up. I've changed the oil and filter which calmed it down a fair bit. A mate has got some Wynns tappet cleaner that goes in with the engine oil. Supposed to clean the tappets and oilways etc. I'm a little wary of putting anything in with my oil tbh. Has anyone used this or something similar? Does it work?

Is there anything else I can do to cure the problem? I've found some info on the older 8v engine but nothing on the 16v. Cheers. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
It isn't your tappets is your cam chain tensioner. £18 from GSF and easy to change.

Reactions: Disco Stu

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah right. Just had a quick search and found a little about it, how long did it take to change?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've try'd the 'Tappet cleaner' and to be honest theres no impovement. nothing beats a oil change. 0-30 or 0-40. You will have a chain tensioner on yours. Easy change within 2 hours.
James

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've try'd the 'Tappet cleaner' and to be honest theres no impovement. nothing beats a oil change. 0-30 or 0-40. You will have a chain tensioner on yours. Easy change within 2 hours.
James

I thought as much, it's really thin stuff

too. Didn't fancy putting it in my oil.

Thanks for the info on the tensioner. Been looking at the Haynes book of lies and it looks fairly straight forward. Another job to do!

·
Registered
359 Posts
It literally took me no more than 10 mins to change. Just warm the car up well first, change the tensioner, do it up and rev to 3000rpm + to get the tensioner to expand.

Revving to 3000rpm from a cold engine is not advised.

Reactions: Disco Stu
1 - 9 of 9 Posts