BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking (if i can find all the parts) of retro fitting the e36 Harman Kardon sound system into my saloon that at the minute has the Nokia speakers.

Did the Harman Kardon sound system have its own special audio wiring loom and where would the amplifier be located.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes it would be a full rewire job. I think that the amp is in the boot. For the time and hassle and expense you would be lookng at finding a harness and all the speakers, brackets and grills, you could get a really awesome aftermarket system setup, whith high end speakers and amps, far superior to the HK stuff.

Link

All you would need to do is either use the speaker outs from the headunit to drive the amp (HK does this) or change to something like a Becker HU with preouts (recommended). You can use £300 saved from the HK retrofit to find a BT + iPod Becker on eBay, then spend the other £300 on amps and speakers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it would be a full rewire job. I think that the amp is in the boot. For the time and hassle and expense you would be lookng at finding a harness and all the speakers, brackets and grills, you could get a really awesome aftermarket system setup, whith high end speakers and amps, far superior to the HK stuff.

Link

All you would need to do is either use the speaker outs from the headunit to drive the amp (HK does this) or change to something like a Becker HU with preouts (recommended). You can use £300 saved from the HK retrofit to find a BT + iPod Becker on eBay, then spend the other £300 on amps and speakers.
Thanks for that mate :thumbsup it was just a idea i was toying with. You are right the money i spend on a HK system i can get a much better aftermarket system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts