BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a 92' 318iA this afternoon and was wondering if anybody could answer a couple of questions???

1. Not sure when the cambelt was last changed. Is there anyway of checking it and any telltale signs as to how old it is. If it does need changing, how long does it last?

2. There doesn't appear to be an Auto box gearbox filler and dipstick. Was quite obvious on my old 316i E30. Does the E36 have one?

Any advice would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi,

Just bought a 92' 318iA this afternoon and was wondering if anybody could answer a couple of questions???

1. Not sure when the cambelt was last changed. Is there anyway of checking it and any telltale signs as to how old it is. If it does need changing, how long does it last?

2. There doesn't appear to be an Auto box gearbox filler and dipstick. Was quite obvious on my old 316i E30. Does the E36 have one?

Any advice would be much appriciated.
If you don't know the history of the cambelt then get it replaced, there's no way of checking the belt as the strength is inside the belt, the chords do the hard work and I've seen many good looking belts broken in one point when I'm replacing bent valves on Broken cambelt jobs.

Gearbox fluid http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/66-15645-136704-1551/ATFCapacity.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts