BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last year my 520 has started 1st turn of the key,it fires up at 1200rpm and immediately settles to 700/750 rpm hot or cold. On Saturday it started first turn of the key as usual but dropped from the 1200 to less than 500 and almost stalled but then settled at 750 as usual. This happened again on Sunday but this time it did stall and I almost flattened the battery getting it started again. Has anyone experienced this or knows what the problem is? By the way, once started it runs and starts perfectly during the day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh dear here we go again only this time the motor fires twice then dies,following much churning on the starter and pumping the accelerator it starts at 3000 RPM but immediately settles to 750 and runs perfectly, starting immediately when warm. Further suggestions required please.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Suggestions as you said David..

Maybe the cam sensor but im only guessing, have you checked all your all hoses/ lines for leaks?

Maybe get the codes read?

Maybe another member will have some more idaes for you mate:thumbsup

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for suggestions Dereck, I've checked all lines for any leaks but all ok. I've been wondering if there is a sensor in the cooling system that tells a cold start device to operate when the coolant is cold. I've looked on real oem but cannot find anything so it looks like I shall have to bite the bullet and go to a main agent and pay their prices. Or buy the 320 SE that I have been offered today 03 plate 60000 miles £5000. I now have to go out providing I can get started.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Could be David, theres a temp sensor at the bottom of your rad expansion tank...im sure you access it from the bottom.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dereck, I thought that was for low coolant warning. Anyway I've bitten the bullet and booked it in with a local indepedant to see what they come up with. Will let you know.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah sorry David was getting the 2 mixed up there! Its under the intake manifold, i think theres 2 on mine actually:thumbsup

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm back to square one. I had the car in to the independent for checking on the diagnostic machine and it showed that nothing was wrong. They kept the car for three days trying to replicate my problem but it started first touch every morning so nothing wrong. Got the car back last night and this morning it was the devil to start, so as I said, I'm back to square one. Now I'm back to doing some lateral thinking. The car has always started finally as though there was no fuel there and it had to be pumped all the way from the tank. Last November I had a fuel leak from the pressure valve at the end of the injection rail which was cured by fitting new seals, the car ran ok until my current problem started and now I'm wondering if by doing that somehow this has caused a problem allowing fuel to drain back to the pump when standing for a period of time. It's just an idea and I'm grasping at straws and would appreciate any of your ideas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To continue with the saga I've not solved it yet but have been saving the battery in a morning by switching the ignition on which operates the pump for a few seconds, then switching off and on again thereby pumping a little more fuel into the system,repeat this about six times and usually it starts first time I actuate the starter. I'm doing this until the problem is sorted (I'm pretty sure that a new pressure regulator is required) Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way ambo478 I have a fuel rail complete with pressure regulator for an e39. If the problem is the regulator you may be interested in having it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New pressure regulator fitted which has improved things a lot but still not 100%. Anyway I'm changing cars to a e46 320I saloon so the 520 will be going to pastures new. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts