BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 850CIA -92 which I bought last summer.

Durnig the first snow I discovered a problem :( ,
the ABS breaks are not working. The "funny" thing is that the ABS warning light is NOT on. It feels like breaking with an old Cortina on ice ;)

The warning light is on when turning on the ignition key, but when engine fires up the light goes out. It just seems that the ABS control unit don't recognizes any problem.
The traction control works fine, whish is using the same wheel speed sensors (I suppose).

any ideas?

Sam

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you tried the ABS ''safely'' down a wet road by jamming the brakes on? Also would be a good idea to get the fault codes read. :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
if it's really icy conditions the ABS brakes are useless anyway. the ABS light will come on if there is a sensor fault. has the bulb gone?
is there a pulsing throught the pedal when you use the brakes?
does the car lock the wheels?

test as above by (carefully) trying to skid the wheels.

get fault codes read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I guess its best first to check if there are any error codes
, will do this as next step :)

I'm quite sure there are ABS on the car,or shuld be. I also assume that E31 cars with traction control also have ABS?

The ABS bulp is ok as the light is on before engine start, but when engine fires up light goes out. There is no pulsing in the break pedal.........

·
Registered
256 Posts
The ABS bulp is ok as the light is on before engine start, but when engine fires up light goes out. There is no pulsing in the break pedal.........
I'm not saying this is the case with you but I have seen cars where the engine warning light (for example) has been wired to the airbag light (for example) to give the appearance that all is well. Are any other lights going out at exactly the same time when you power up the engine?

Steve

note: just brainstorming here, I doubt this applies to you but I guess it's worth a mention.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ABS systems and traction control on ALL BMW's in snow or ice are more than useless, best bet get second set of wheels with M&S tyres if you want to play in the snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Steve,

This has also slipped my mind, will check the ABS light if it seems to be syncronized with any other light.
I guess its almoast impossible that the ABS light would not indicate(if wired right)
if there is a fault in the ABS circuit. It seems like the ABS pump don't even starts.
I was yesterday to BMW and they have fully booked until 20th Jan :( so just have to wait for the fault code check.

Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....I'm used to drive in snow and on ice as this is normal in Finland,
and the tires are really nice new Nokian winter tiers with studs and amazing grip ;) .. but I agree with allound or even summer tires the slip control and ABS are quite useless!!

sam

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Sam It may be a BMW thing, judging by the amount of cars i have seen dumped on the side of the road in the snow including Z3's X3 and X5's with articulated lorry's for company!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...yes you are right, the BMW isn't the best car in slippery conditions, but then again good winter tires improoves even a badly behaving car quite a bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just discovered that mine doesn't seem to work all the time either!
Didn't work this morning in the snow but was working last week when someone ran across the road in front of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts