BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1992 318i e36 engine power lost

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  david19 
#1 ·
hi i have had a 318i 4 about 3 weeks now and it feels like driving a 1 litre saxo if i rev it.it seems to want to choose to go up to 5 half revs if i full throttle it (out of gear)and struggles to hit 100 mph and seems to have a duddery feel when sitting on idle can anyone help me out i havnt got a clue i have changed air filter and cleaned opening of throttle body and put redx in the tank if that stuff even works. PLEASE HELP ME IM GOING INSANE

#2 ·
try the plugs,check for oil,check timing,has the car been in a accident b4 you ownes it?wen was the last time it was serviced .... try looking at some of the symptoms of a Early E36 on this forum...i hope i dont encounter this problem when i get mine :( :)

#3 · (Edited)
A good starting point is always going to be to have your fault codes read.

Try disconnecting the MAF (mass air flow) sensor and see if the car runs any better (the ECU will use default values upon you disconnecting the MAF). If the car runs any better, the MAF could do with replacing for a either a new unit or a OE unit proven to be working from a breakers.7

I would also have your igniton leads/coils (depending on your set up) tested for continuity.

Check for air leaks from hoses/vaccum pipes and gasket seals. Could try running the engine and spray carburettor clean at certain points of these items to see if there is any difference in the engine idle.

02 sensor's usually need to be replaced at 60,000miles as a general rule of thumb, but you can have this tested any any half decent diagnostic centre.

I forgot to mention dirty injectors with worn o-rings - probably be easy enough for DIY to remove them manually, clean them up and refit with new o-rings (this will also help provide accurate readings to the 02 sensors for air/fuel mix requests from the ECU)

#4 ·
A good starting point is always going to be to have your fault codes read.

Try disconnecting the MAF (mass air flow) sensor and see if the car runs any better (the ECU will use default values upon you disconnecting the MAF). If the car runs any better, the MAF could do with replacing for a either a new unit or a OE unit proven to be working from a breakers.7

I would also have your igniton leads/coils (depending on your set up) tested for continuity.

Check for air leaks from hoses/vaccum pipes and gasket seals. Could try running the engine and spray carburettor clean at certain points of these items to see if there is any difference in the engine idle.

02 sensor's usually need to be replaced at 60,000miles as a general rule of thumb, but you can have this tested any any half decent diagnostic centre.

listen to the dawg!!!

#7 ·
lol na never been in accident but had a recon bmw 318i put in. coz the lady prior 2 the owner i got it off was a real dumb ass and blow the engine that was in it.as im on the subject of dumb asses i 4got 2 put the cable 4 the air flow senser on when i was cleaning the air filter it runs a bit smoother but still the same problems.put new fuel filter on today and again running a bit smoother but same problems going to get some new plugs 2mo coz i got told that if i have 3 plugs the same make and the other 1 a diffrent make that could be the problem i have 3 bosch 1 ngk is this so ????

#10 ·
Loss of power, maybe due to the CAM sensor, only a guess, but a diagnostic machine will tell you, you can read my threads, I thought I had similar problem, go to Kwikfit and be nice, they'll do the diagnostic for you, tope it will be £20, 2 mins work, just make sure they find the plug in the right place! my 318is, has its under the bonnett, not under drivers side dash. Hope this helps

#11 ·
318i how to find cam senser?

hi does anyone no where i can find the cam senser on my e36 318i 1992 and when i find it wot type of problem am i looking 4 or wot colour is it originaly when new and how 2 get it off. please need help????????:confused:confused:confused

#12 ·
no thanks 2 mikey36,dsk,newby i still aint sorted it only joking guys thanks 2 you all you've been a big help.THANKS just need one question solved i have a pipe that looks like it needs 2 b connected 2 somthing i have been told its a vaccum pipe but it should'nt make a diffrence?.i coverd it over wiv my thumb when engine started and it made no diffrence to engine at all? can anyone help?

#13 ·
Hi David,
Take a look at my post, in this section, its titled '1993 E36 318is Oily Plugs - Please not Piston rings! ' its on page 2. scroll through to end of page 3 (my post asking about different years of cars - different sensor types) then read Ronnie's reply on page 4. Follow the links, good bit of advise, is make a note or save the web page he points me to, using his links, its the OEM site, just put your chassis or engine number in at the home page, and it will list all your parts and diagrams. Sorted. Just as a heads up. The cam sensor, is positioned at the front of the engine bay, connecting to the front of the cam housing (ie top of engine) and runs from left to right, connecting in to a plug, (twinned with the crank sensor) hopefully the pics I just took for you are uploaded OK. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.