BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI.
I have a 1991 325i, lately every time i start when cold it start well but when i put my foot on the throttle the revs go down instead of up and sounds like it's about to cut out. also i get a smell of petrol. But when it warms up it runs fine.

However few days ago, while driving, I stopped in traffic and the revs started to go up and down (between 1500 and 400) and sounded like it's about to cut off, smelled of petrol too. Since then it does it all the time and I can't drive the car.

Any suggestions?

I tried cleaning the Idle control valve which seems ok and the bits seem to move freely inside.
Is it better to have it code read or does someone have an easier solution.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
HI.
I have a 1991 325i, lately every time i start when cold it start well but when i put my foot on the throttle the revs go down instead of up and sounds like it's about to cut out. also i get a smell of petrol. But when it warms up it runs fine.

However few days ago, while driving, I stopped in traffic and the revs started to go up and down (between 1500 and 400) and sounded like it's about to cut off, smelled of petrol too. Since then it does it all the time and I can't drive the car.

Any suggestions?

I tried cleaning the Idle control valve which seems ok and the bits seem to move freely inside.
Is it better to have it code read or does someone have an easier solution.

Cheers

Have you checked for air leaks mate................also I would get the codes read- the error codes stored in the DME will help to pin point the cause.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You have a air leak.

I would be checking for any air leaks first from split hoses, split vacuum pipes, split engine breather pipes or split induction pipes, also any valves and diaphragms that may have failed. Any air that is sucked into the engine should travel past the Air flow meter otherwise it will give you a running fault

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI.
I had the car code read and found out that there was a problem with the AIR MASS METER SENSOR. i looked around it and found that the wires that come to it were all cut!!!
I reconnected them and... voila!!! works perfect.

Cheers everyone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts