BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

my engine died while starting and everything points to head gasket being the problem. now im going to do a compression test but to honist im a novice. so i was wondering if theres anything i need to look for while stripping the head. and what other seals/gaskets should i replace. whats the chance one of the cylinders is cracked and not the gasket blown?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What are your actual symptoms?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Get it skimmed and pressure tested. I fit a new waterpump and thermostat on my old 1996 e36 compact whilst I did it. I would do the same to yours, I'd imagine your waterpump would have a plastic impellor (like mine did) whereas the later ones have metal ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
symptons are:
lots of white gunk on dip stick.
engine sounds flat, u can hear starter motor and cams are turning fine.
spark plug port on cylinder 4 soaked in oil.

i have a compression kit and a pressure kit for the radiator. i also know good machine shop to get head skimed. but would i then need thicker gasket to compensate for the skiming?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
What side of the plug is oily? the top or the bottom?
If it's the top, it's a leaky rocker cover gasket, and that will cause a misfire.

Once skimmed, you'll need a thicker gasket, but generally you'd struggle to find a normal one rather than the 0.3mm oversize.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't you stick with the standard gasket and then have a slightly hight compression ration and a bit more power?
im guessing the questions would be is the standerd gasket up to handling the higher compression. and is the clearance of piston, valves ect be safe. or would u run the risk of pre detination?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
done copression test
cylinders.
1. 3.5 bar plug wet (i.e bottom of spark pug oily).
2. 7.0 bar plug wet.
3. 6.5 bar plug dry.
4. 6.5 bar plug wet but suddenly lost presser and on retest was 3.0 bar.
5. 6.0 bar plug wet.
6. 7.0 bar plug dry.
will do rad pressure test and remove head monday. machine shop will skim such a lil amount off standerd gasket would be fine as copression wouldn't change much if at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts