BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have an E36 318i to which I have recently fitted a pipercross induction kit. Just been on a long run, over 500 miles, and now the engine will not tick over on idle when in traffic queues etc. Could the filter be casuing a problem? I've read a few threads and most seem to suggest the orginal panel filters are best.

Any ideas whats causing the engine to run eratically at idle?

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, replaced the air intake pipe and also checked the small pipes to the idle control valve and they are all ok but the problem is still there!!

Any ideas what to check next??

Cheers

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
It should have a continual buzzing/vibrating. The next step i would take is pull the idle valve out and give it a clean with some carb cleaner as they can gunk up.
I had the same fault on my 318 after i replaced the fuel pipes. I disturbed the idle valve and piping then it wouldnt idle. I ended up getting a valve off of a volvo we had in the yard. :thumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've cleaned out the Idle Control Valve and its seems to idle a lot better. The only thing is that now when you come to slow down at a junction the revs seem to drop right down until it nearlly stalls and then come back up and it idles ok. Any ideas?

Could it dtill be the ICV? They seem to be over £100 new, are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks

:jaw-dropping

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I've cleaned out the Idle Control Valve and its seems to idle a lot better. The only thing is that now when you come to slow down at a junction the revs seem to drop right down until it nearlly stalls and then come back up and it idles ok. Any ideas?

Could it dtill be the ICV? They seem to be over £100 new, are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks

:jaw-dropping
It does sound like the idle valve mate. I got one from a local scrappy for a fiver :thumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.