BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys im new to the site just want to say hello and ask my first question

my cambelt snapped on me the other day so i went out and got another 1 and i also replaced a valve that had bent i put the car back together it started and ran well but for some reason the belt sounds like its rubbing against the cambelt covers does anybody have an idea why this would be happening

thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
First port of call would be checking that the belt is correctly installed and routed.

Also check if the cover is back 100% correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1991 316i m40 engine

does anyone have the diagram/pictures of the way the cambelt is meant to be put back on and where the marks should be for the timing as well

thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Hi mate. These are the full instructions for fitting from auto data. You may have to save and print the image.

If you need anymore help let me know mate, you MUST make sure you turn the tensioner anti-clockwise. Make sure you DO NOT just change the belt you must change the tensioner and roller too. You will only cause problems for yourself if you dont. Let us know how it goes :thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1991 316i m40 engine

hi steve thank you very much for that it helps alot the only problem i got now is that the cambelt case at the top is making a rubbing noise as if the cambelt is rubbing against it sorry to be a pain do u have the diagrams for the timing for this please as i have looked around but cant find anything

thanks for alll the help:D

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Hi mate. Sorry for the delay. Im pretty sure that there are no visible timing marks on the engine. :frown
You have to insert a timing pin into the flywheel and lock the cam with the special tools. Ive never done one without the tools, i was just lucky that my mate has them. :)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
TDC can be found by using a screwdriver down the spark plug hole, and use a drill bit to lock the flywheel if you have no pin.

And there is no timing mark on the cam pulley, only the square on the camshaft that is used for locking. Generally speaking the valves on cylinder 4 will be rocking when at TDC

·
Registered
3 Posts
1991 e36 316i cambelt snapped. advice pls

hi. im also new here. my belt went yesterday and i was wondering if the replacement/repair is complicated/expensive/time consuming and roughly how long it could take me. plus any other advice would be apreciated as i need my smile back on the road asap. thanks

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Sorry mate, missed this thread...:frown

Ist thing you will have to do is fit a new belt then compression test the engine to see what cylinders are down on compression which will tell you how many bent valves you have. TBH it may be cheaper to try and find a good condition cylinder head with all the valves in place. You will need to fit the belt as per the instructions in the above posts...:thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry mate, missed this thread...:frown

Ist thing you will have to do is fit a new belt then compression test the engine to see what cylinders are down on compression which will tell you how many bent valves you have. TBH it may be cheaper to try and find a good condition cylinder head with all the valves in place. You will need to fit the belt as per the instructions in the above posts...:thumbsup
well replacement heads arent all that expensive it seems, and im quoted about 4 hours to remove/replace head and belt. so hopefully i will be mobile again soon :D just gta find out why my wifes compact spat its dummy out now and we will both be smiling again. :cool. appreciate the help m8:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
well replacement heads arent all that expensive it seems, and im quoted about 4 hours to remove/replace head and belt. so hopefully i will be mobile again soon :D just gta find out why my wifes compact spat its dummy out now and we will both be smiling again. :cool. appreciate the help m8:thumbsup
No problem, If you need any more help just give me a shout....:thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts