BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
The past few weeks ive noticed after driving through some not very large puddles that the engine has no power for a minute or two after and then continues fine, i unavoidably drove through a large puddle in the middle of nowhere today and i thought she was gonna cut out, not handy when i had my two daughters in the car with me. Then, after about 2 minutes, away she when.

Is there anything i should check to see whats causing this??

Thanks.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Does the battery light come on? Could be the alternator belt on it's way but normally that's accompanied with a squealing noise:confused

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No battery light, No belt squeal. Just the engine really struggles. A daft thought i had, was maybe the water was being sucked up and affecting the air flow sensor. I just dont know though.:frown

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
No battery light, No belt squeal. Just the engine really struggles. A daft thought i had, was maybe the water was being sucked up and affecting the air flow sensor. I just dont know though.:frown
That was going through my mind but then I thought for that to happen you'd have to driving through a lake:lol:lol:lol

Is the air fed from the grill like on the E36? It is possible for water to splash up this high if it's a really deep puddle (stuff roaming the streets in your area - bet you've soaked loads of innocent pedestrians:hihi)

I would recommend removing the air filter and check to see if it's wet:thumbsup

I don't know what the affect of the cat being cooled very quickly would have on performance:confused

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:lol:lol

Funny you should say that! :hihi

I'll give the air filter a check, not sure bout the cat, though im under the car next weekend to do that friggin' propshaft, so if money allows, i might replace the o2 sensor, just in case. I dont know when it was done, if ever. Of all the things wrong with me car, this is the strangest one.

Perhaps my ex is putting sugar in my tank! silly cow hasnt put enough in though to destroy the beemer!!:hihi

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The crank sensor is on the front of the engine, a chance it may be to do with this, may be worth having the fault codes read or get a diagnostic tool for yourself and see if anything comes up

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think your right, can you recommend a reader for the job? :thumbsup

·
Registered
18 Posts
it definetely sounds like a sensor giving false info to the ECU, try unplugging the cable of the AFM which is after the air filter box

1 - 10 of 10 Posts