BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I was looking at the rear subframe bush removal tool today as i need to change the bushes, However, they retail at around £180 -£190!! Does anybody know of another method of replacing these? maybe a universal remover?

Thanks, :thumbsup
Lee.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
It's an awkward job at the best of times so if there's a tool available that will make your life easier then I would recommend you use it:hihi

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course, I just wondered at them prices and the amount of time im likely to spend using it, that perhaps someone may have forged a tool from the depths of a shed.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Of course, I just wondered at them prices and the amount of time im likely to spend using it, that perhaps someone may have forged a tool from the depths of a shed.
The problem is that all the bushes are pressed in and have a steel outer that corrodes/fits very tight in the subframe. To remove them without a tool you will need to first cut away the rubber, and then slice through the steel and punch around the steel liner until it becomes loose enough to prise out. It will be very time consuming and a lot of hard graft

Why not ask a couple of garages if they'll press them out for you if you take the components to them?

Polyurethane bushes will be MUCH easier to fit as they all come in 2 pieces IIRC:thumbsup

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just brought the polybush set, and ordered the lower and upper control arms, which i need to spend a weekend doing (not much change outta £350! I can get my hands on a two pronged bearing puller which i was thinking about adapting to use, with a longer bolt. But if not, i can do the other bushes and get a garage to finish the subframe bushes off. How much easier are the polyurthane subframe bush to fit?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I have just brought the polybush set, and ordered the lower and upper control arms, which i need to spend a weekend doing (not much change outta £350! I can get my hands on a two pronged bearing puller which i was thinking about adapting to use, with a longer bolt. But if not, i can do the other bushes and get a garage to finish the subframe bushes off. How much easier are the polyurthane subframe bush to fit?
You use the supplied grease and push one half in one side and the other half in the other side. The only ones that created a problem on mine were the front control arm rear bushes... we erm... improvised and kinda dropped the ramp down on the strategically placed item:hihi

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:rofl
Yeah, if i tryed that, the strategically placed item would be my foot!:lol

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
:rofl
Yeah, if i tryed that, the strategically placed item would be my foot!:lol
:lol:lol:lol

That is the only solid bush IIRC and it is a real SWINE!!!:hihi
Can you post up a picture of the bushes you have:thumbsup

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f71/how-to-post-pictures-and-add-signatures-or-t2682/

Oh yeah word of warning... on the rear axle my powerflex bush diagram was all arse backwards. The ones they said were for the front of the subframe were for the rear and the ones for the rear were for the front. Double check this before fitting:rofl

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that, i will bear that in mind, You'll have to bear with me on the pictures, i need some batteries for the camera. :silly, The missus went a bit mad christmas day. Though i have following -

Front Lower Tie Bar To Chassis Bush (PFF5-601)
Front Inner TCA Bush (PFF5-602)
Front Anti Roll Bar Mounting 25mm (PFF5-310-25)
Rear Beam Mount Bush (PFR5-507)
Rear Roll Bar Mounting Bush 18mm (PFR5-504-18)

I measured the roll bar bushes as there are about 3 different sizes!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The rear beam bushes can be removed easier if heated up, but installing them REALLY does need the proper tool, I would get a local BMW indy to do them for you, I could do both in under 1 hour providing the alloy centre doesn't seize in the body

·
Registered
13 Posts
Davis 403 I replaced these rear suspenson beam to body bushes on a 318e but i removed the whole rear suspension dismantled it and pressed out these bushed on a hydraulic press in a local friends garage even then the centre part had to be burned out .It was a swine of a job to do at home. I now have a 525 E34 and recently had these same bushes replaced by a bmw repair garage using the special tool that allous the extraction of these bushes in situ. On a 525 I would sincerly recomend taking it to someone with the necessary equipment. I am a trained mechanic and i definately would not attempt it at home.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I'm certainly not going to 'bodge' it, but i can get hold of the tool for around £80 from the US so it would probably be roughly the same price if not cheaper doing that, than paying the stealers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
if you can get the proper tool for that money and are confident you can do the job ok yourself why pay someone else to do what you can do yourself as you will have the satisfaction you did the job and you will always have the tool for keeps :thumbsup

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have the tool you can then hire it out to others on here!

...Me:hihi

What are symptoms of the rear bushes needing replacing. I am used to old cars that wobble all over the place so i might not notice.

alex

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can actually feel the car steering itself at the back over adverse cambers of the road and im getting a bit of oversteer, which can be frightening, especially for the missus!:D:D. Also, the one side sometimes bang against the chassis when i but the foot down. The trailing arms seem ok, the rubber isnt split and seems in general good condition, I wish it were these as i have replaced them on a '88 735 some years ago, they are simple. But as always it seems with cars, its always the more difficult jobs that come about!:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Jack the rear of the car up onto stands, climb underneath and check whether the bush is still stuck to the aluminium centre tube, you can also jack up on the rear beam itself slightly to raise the beam up and make it easier to inspect the bush. Or use a long pry bar if you have the room.

Like mentioned above when they are really bad they bang on the chassis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.