BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be posting a lot of threads on the E34 section!:hihi

My 525i sport is fitted with aluminium control arms, I have stupidly got steel arms. Is there any difference? does it affect the geometry of the suspension or anything adversely? I can send them back for credit against the more expensive aluminium arms, but if there is no real difference then i will save a bit of cash!

Thanks!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh well, thats ok, thanks. i cant imagine i will notice a slightly heavier suspension component, anyway, i will just lose a few pounds around my waist, :hihi

·
Registered
97 Posts
excellent that's just saved me asking the same question, iv'e got alloy ones on my car that were so covered in dirt i thought they were steel so i bought some steel ones off e-bay (pair with bushes) for 99p, ill bang them on soon, result!:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi ya scoots, you might find when you come to get the tracking done the adjusters are rusted solid and they try and charge you extra for their time freeing it up, mine were like this so i went down GSF to buy new ends and the whole bit was not much more than the balljoint ends so i got the whole adjusting piece, i was thinking the guy made a mistake on the price but he got it off the computer so it must have been right, just suprised me they were quite cheap :thumbsup

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on e-bay ive seen complete rods and joints for £17.50 + p+p each
For that price i doubt they will be approved parts. Unapproved, cheaper alternatives will be ok, but probably wont last as long. The bushes will be of 'cheaper' quality and the ball joint also. I seen these a few years ago when i owned my E32 but was advised against it as he had brought them, and only lasted 14 months, in fact, it failed the MOT on the one side. They probably would last longer if you fitted a better quality bush though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hi mighty 5 series i was referring to tie rods (2x rod ends and the internally threaded rod) for £17.50 + p+p, the arms i bought are 'first line' dunno about quality but for 99p they'll do for a while surely.:thumbsup

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi mighty 5 series i was referring to tie rods (2x rod ends and the internally threaded rod) for £17.50 + p+p, the arms i bought are 'first line' dunno about quality but for 99p they'll do for a while surely.:thumbsup
ahh, my bad.:thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.