BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so. seein as people pay alot of money for what time and effort mechanics put into this job... im going to do it myself for the first time... yes alot of u will probably laf at me for thinking its a hard job lol. was just wondering what sort of gap to keep. i read up that 10000th was a good gap... can anyone recomend what space should be kept for my 1991 e30 320 auto?

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
Good on ya mate, good to get stuck in and learn along the way, it aint too difficult, check them in this order 1,5,3,6,2,4
Cold 0.25mm
Hot 0.30mm

Data from the manual :thumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers people... much obliged :thumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah one more question. where is the crank shaft bolt located?? i havent looked yet but just wondering if someone can help me jus locate it. also... what to the cams look like at top dead centre? (dont wana mess my first learning step in cams n valves lol) :thumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks people for all the help. Turning the crank bolt when facing it. Clockwise or anti??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tappets adjustment... is that the same as valve?
also when measuring the clearance with the feeler... should the feeler be kinda squashed and just BARELY moveable...because the internet seems to show many different methods. some say squash it... some say leave only a slight drag....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Generally a slight drag, and yes tappet clearance is also known as valve clearance.

Can you not get a friend to help you who has done this before?

If you set the tappets wrong you can give yourself problems like a misfire/rough running.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AHA!!!! after once adjusting them wrong and hearing louder tapping noises... now iv done it correct and the engine sounds so smooth... (compared to before). cheers for your help guys.... first part of self engine work done :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you sorted it. Fair play for doing it yourself....:thumbsup
cheers mate :thumbsup

had a question... want to convert my auto to manual... would you be able to help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts