BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I already have v8 power in the form of the m60b40 in my E30. If I wanted to change to the m62b44 I'm well aware that it's not going to be a straight engine swap but can anybody say for definite what I would need to do to make the change.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
There shouldn't be too much of a change really, aim for a pre-98 M62B44 and not the M62TUB44, as the TU includes an electronic throttle.

The ECU will need swapping, but the rest should be the same.
Once you have one V8 fitted, you're mostly there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously? What about ews?
most threads I read say not to go for it because it's a much harder swap than a m60b40. Surely there's more?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
EWS- they'll all have EWS and a Bosch M5.2 ecu.
You'll need some sort of EWS but it's not going to be that tricky, you'd want an EWS Box, key chip, aerial etc from a breaker, and get them synced to the ECU.
You can either use the key chip, or just tie wrap it under the dash somewhere.

The ECU is a remapper rather than a rechip, and there's a good chance it'll work with your current older Bosch ecu.

Alpina used what I would assume your ECU in their B8 4.6 cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. That causes me a bit of concern in so far as i'm handy with mechanicals but electricals is just not me (unless it's something that's well documented). The breaker part I can do. Any tips on getting them synced to the ecu?

STK, any relevance to the question you asked earlier?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
If the engine comes with the ECU, it will most likely come with the EWS bits too.
If not, you'll need to get a key, EWS ring antenna (it surrounds the ignition barrel) the EWS send/recieve box (the antenna plugs into this) and the EWS box itself

Grab the plugs for these too, and they can be wired in to the new ECU, and then it will need diagnostics to sync them together.

Most engines come with the ecu, EWS box and key chip so you've got the important parts anyway, but I have a got a feeling that your current ECU will run it fine as I don't think there were any major electrical changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts