BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys,

So last night I was on the Duel-Carriage way when I noticed my exhaust was smoking, I pulled over with a now smokey bonnet and the engine temp warning light was on. After a quick look it had come apparent that my top hose from the RAD had popped off where it connects to the engine. I thought it would be ok, after re attaching it
I struggled the car home and left it overnight to cool. Today the engine sounded all fine and didn't feel any problems, after 5mins of driving and the Temp Gauge half way, it suddenly decided to shoot up to the red very quickly. Also I cant get heat from the In car heating?!

Im not very good with the cooling system, but i take it i've lost alot of engine coolant? Would it have affected the engine oil? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
204 Posts
As long as you havnt damaged HG you should be ok ,check your water pump is working ok,undo rad cap and see if you can see water being squirted into the chamber?

·
Registered
71 Posts
best think to do is bleed the system mate. When car is cold take out bleed screws, and remove rad cap. Turn the car on and let it heat up with heaters on full heat but low power. Full up with coolant as i lowers in the expansion tank. Aslong as you still have water in it head gasket should be ok.

Video is for an e39 but its fairly similar

YouTube - Cooling System Bleed Part 1.wmv

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i hope its not the HG.

I can see the bleeding screw next the the expansion tank but can find another, any idea where this would be on my car?

Im going to check the water pump tomorrow, if its not working thats the first thing i'll replace, but i'll have a go at bleeding it as well

·
Registered
71 Posts
follow the pipe that runs to the thermostat. Should be right by the thermo. You should be able to hear the water pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1995 E36 328i - Overheating When Moving

Check that thread out. It sounds similar to mine and mine was solved by a new water pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1995 E36 328i - Overheating When Moving

Check that thread out. It sounds similar to mine and mine was solved by a new water pump.
The link isnt there mate?

Bleeding the system tomorrow now i have time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eeeek!

So today i bled the coolant system,
went out for a test drive....100m from home and *POP*, off came the top tube from the RAD to the engine again. Coolant everywhere. I know the thermostat needs replacing, and it's going into the garage on Monday (thank god!). I replace the tube, and started her up to get back the last 100m, expect when i put my foot down there was a major loss of power and rattling, same in reverse, aslo a hell off alot of squeaking coming from under the bonnet.

I really hope there's nothing massively wrong with her! I get the labour done on the car for free, just have to pay cost price for parts, but i have a very bad feeling about this :(

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Eeeek!

So today i bled the coolant system,
went out for a test drive....100m from home and *POP*, off came the top tube from the RAD to the engine again. Coolant everywhere. I know the thermostat needs replacing, and it's going into the garage on Monday (thank god!). I replace the tube, and started her up to get back the last 100m, expect when i put my foot down there was a major loss of power and rattling, same in reverse, aslo a hell off alot of squeaking coming from under the bonnet.

I really hope there's nothing massively wrong with her! I get the labour done on the car for free, just have to pay cost price for parts, but i have a very bad feeling about this :(
good luck mate, best to get it seen to before its to late.
my mate tryed to fix his car then it turned out not to be that item at fault. bang goes the vauxhall:hihi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts