BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, Just joined the forum and need some advice

I have a M50 E34 1990 model and want to put in this car a 1995 Vanos M50 engine. The Vanos Engine has no key with it . Apparently because of the EWS loom it may not work. I have got the ECU for this Vanos.

Can anyone give me any ideas how i can get round this

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Where you based? UK or US?
A simple option is to get another ECU without the EWS, so a pre 1995 ECU.
If it is a 2.0 litre, You'll want a Siemens MS40.1, 5WK9 002 to replace the 5WK9 003.

If you have a 2.5 litre, you'll have a Bosch 0261200413 ecu, and you'll want one with a large reddish brown label on the front, instead of one with a single smaller silver label.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for the info ,I am based in Switzerland. Are you saying that the ECU and the EWS loom go together.? Its a 525 M50

I hear the difference between the engines is mainly VANOS technology. The 1995 is Vanos so i hear it uses Siemens ECU

·
Registered
995 Posts
Fitting this engine into a non Vanos car will be tricky. A 1995 M50TU will have EWS, and the looms are different. What you need is a 1993/4 525i non EWS engine loom and ECU.

A 1990 car was of course non Vanos and non EWS. You can't reuse the existing loom as there is no wire for the Vanos solonoid. You may be able to modify the 1995 loom to run with a non EWS ECU but you'll need a wiring diagram to identify the EWS wires - having said that, it may well run without doing this. Be aware that Bosch and Siemens ECU's don't interchange thanks to a different loom plug, but almost all 525i's had Bosch and Siemens ECU's are mainly for some 520i's.

Your 1990 car may well have the rare overdrive box as well. You'll identify it as it has a ribbed outer casing - if you post up (or PM me) the last 7 digits of the VIN (classis number) I can tell you. These overdrive boxes were used on the first batch of 24v 520i/525i cars before the new close ratio E36 type boxes were being made, so Getrag made a couple of thousand 12v type boxes with the revised bellhosuing pattern to fit an M50. If you have this box you must re-use it or fit the later type differential.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys
My 1995 obd1 manual e36 320i ecu is damaged, I was thinking of getting a siemens ms40.1 5wk 9002 to replace the damaged siemens ms40.1 5wk9003, my problem is the ews. How can I get around this? My car has been non running for 5 months, you're reply will be highly appreciated. I wanted to post this on the thread but it seems the threats are slow these days. Please any help will be highly appreciated.
I'm based in South Africa, Pretoria. Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can send the ecu to some tuners to remove ews. Ask / look in the tuners section on this website

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Nas80 thanks for the reply but I understand that the siemens 5wk9002 dme doesn't have the ews2, what you mean when you say I can send the ecu to the tuners to remove it? (Please explain) Tnx

@TheEnd I'm considering what you advised about changing the loom and the non ews (siemens 5wk9002) my quetion is will the key start the car without any proble or will I have to change the key to an older key? Thanks, sorry for many questions I'm tring to learn from the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts