BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a slight misfire on my 320i and a bad overfuelling fault, i have done a compression test and all 6 cylinders are reading 170 psi so it looks like the engine is ok, also i have changed the airflow meter, the dizzy cap and rotor, and the spark plugs. on idle i get a misfire but as i accelerate it gets less but it constantly overfuels it is giving a reading of 9 on the c0 machine in the garage has anybody any ideas what it could be thanks. :frown

·
Registered
710 Posts
Lambda sensor?

Could also be a faulty injector?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking injectors but would that make it misfire too?
il just tell you i havnt got a cat fitted either

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had the codes read when i had the c0 checked and there wasnt any faults showing
could i use 325 injector rail on a 320 ?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i had the codes read when i had the c0 checked and there wasnt any faults showing
I would personally check for air leaks around the intake mate.............your symptoms do sound similar to that 325i, we got no error codes and it misfired on idle and occasionally on the road......looked high and low and discovered that one of the injector seals were split. changed all six seal, car ran spot on and idled great.

maybe worth a shot

have u checked for leaks at all mate?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Check the seals out but I would suspect the lambda sensor if it's the original one. I had a Renault Clio in for MOT that had ridiculous emissions and that was the Lambda sensor

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i understand what you guys are saying but if i just go round changing everything on the engine i will have to find very deep pockets to finance it all, the car drives as it should with no backfires but does feel like its pulling back on me at around 30-40mph and i have to change gear to correct it and stop the jerking also i noticed that if i race the car it reaches redline in first gear very fast with not a lot of speed reached i dont know if this is right or connected to this fault.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
slight update : i took the chassis number to bmw today and asked them if there should be a cat and lambda sensor on the car and they said by that chassis number there should be, well guess what my car doesnt have them fitted, now thinking back to when i bought the car i remember the guy saying to me that he bought the car with a knackered engine as he had a spare engine sitting around, then the head gasket went and he rebuilt the head so im wondering if he took them off and decatted the car i dont know which way to turn now , do i fit a ambda and cat or change the ecu for a non cat one ?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
slight update : i took the chassis number to bmw today and asked them if there should be a cat and lambda sensor on the car and they said by that chassis number there should be, well guess what my car doesnt have them fitted, now thinking back to when i bought the car i remember the guy saying to me that he bought the car with a knackered engine as he had a spare engine sitting around, then the head gasket went and he rebuilt the head so im wondering if he took them off and decatted the car i dont know which way to turn now , do i fit a ambda and cat or change the ecu for a non cat one ?
If your car has no O2 sensor and is supposed to then the car wont run right mate..........what I mean is that it would be constantly in Limp mode. how are the emisions?

i would route around the engine bay and see if you can find the wiring connector for the O2 sensor......as for the cat- I wouldn't bother putting one on- don't need it on that year of car and if you do you'll end up losing a few horses.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the emissions are reading a 9 on the c0 machine which is almost pure fuel out the exhaust, iv looked on the car for any sign of a plug on the loom and on the drivers side flitch there is a round plug with 4 pins just hanging around the exhaust area, as for the cat i have no intentions of refitting one to the car saying that though if it does need the sensor then i will have to change the downpipe to accomodate the sensor, i dont know if this helps but the inside of the petrol flap says suitable for leaded or unleaded fuel.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
the emissions are reading a 9 on the c0 machine which is almost pure fuel out the exhaust, iv looked on the car for any sign of a plug on the loom and on the drivers side flitch there is a round plug with 4 pins just hanging around the exhaust area, as for the cat i have no intentions of refitting one to the car saying that though if it does need the sensor then i will have to change the downpipe to accomodate the sensor, i dont know if this helps but the inside of the petrol flap says suitable for leaded or unleaded fuel.

there's your problem mate.......that round plug is the one for the O2 sensor, your car should have one inorder to run right.

You don't need to change the down pipe........you got a mig welder??

I would drill into the down pipe and weld an O2 Boss on there or even a suitable nut and then just screw a new O2 sensor in, plug it in and away you go.........you'll find that your car will idle alot better, run smoother around town and be more responsive at part throttle and the emisions will come right down.

Get it sorted mate:thumbsup

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont suppose you know anybody that has a lambda sensor lying around do you ? i asked at bmw today and they are £138 which i dont have and my local bmw breakers havnt got any either.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
i dont suppose you know anybody that has a lambda sensor lying around do you ? i asked at bmw today and they are £138 which i dont have and my local bmw breakers havnt got any either.

Call ECP for a direct replacement should set you back no more than 45 squids for a bosch unit:thumbsup

Or......try AllParts.......they seem to be cheaper than ECP especially when it comes to Bosch sensors.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts