BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I have just joined, my name is Allen and I badly need some help!
I've got a 318i not IS. I have just replaced my front swing arms + rear bushes anti roll bar bushes, drop links complete track-rod inner + outer, strut tops springs and boge shocks. now when I try to drive it she lifts at the front by as much as 11".
I have also changed the rear springs and boge shocks
The Car does not drop at the back when front lifts and the car sits a little high when parked up but that's normal from what I've read please can any one help it's my only car and so far its cost lodes
have I missed something?? :frown
thanks
Allen

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
its the shocks that usually stop the car lifting and diving to quicky, also the springs are all made to support a certain weight. you may have got either the wrong front springs or shocks for your car!
are you sure it lifts 11", i wouldn't have thought the spring or shock was capable of moving that far from end to end.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you checked over your work again to make sure everything is back together in the order it came apart in?

Also have you had the tracking/wheel alignment checked?

What does the car steer like when it's driven?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its the shocks that usually stop the car lifting and diving to quicky, also the springs are all made to support a certain weight. you may have got either the wrong front springs or shocks for your car!
are you sure it lifts 11", i wouldn't have thought the spring or shock was capable of moving that far from end to end.
hi got a friend to drive it for me and it lifts around 7" from top of tire to center of arch i have never had a car lift like it all the front end running gear is new.and no i have not got the tracking done yet but it dose not pull it drives high and verry light. all the bits were put on in the some order i took then off but all is new now.are there different length stuts?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
wrong springs can do this! especially if they are for a car with a bigger heavier engine!, double check the springs you got and dampers, then ring the company you got them from and ask there opinion on the fact the front end is light and lifts to much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wrong springs can do this! especially if they are for a car with a bigger heavier engine!, double check the springs you got and dampers, then ring the company you got them from and ask there opinion on the fact the front end is light and lifts to much.
hi again got all the bits from german,sweish,french. they said that the springs n shocks were right but when i came to fit them they were longer by one coil i put this down to the old one collpsing with age but found out the 318is has the same extra coil,i did prim the shocks but did not measure the shock ram lenth fully extended,the shock did keep pulling its self back in when fitting the strut top do you now if this is normal?and the shocks are boge turbo didnt wont to lower it as its the family car. beginning to fink i should have just gone on ebay n bort a cheep kit.do you now were i can get a set of images showing a strip down of the front suspension just in case i have got some thing on rong it dose look right but no ones perfect
thank you for tacking the time to help =)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks ronnie and vauxfan
the links help to settle my mind it is all back right im goin to chang the spings back tomorow to see if its the shocks or spings plus i will measure the shock shaft fully extended and comper with the old ones i wish i could put a vid or picks on here to show you but i dont have the no how it relly is so mad how high she is riding .will see if my son can sort somthing so you can see it but you no teenagers!! i will post back on here tomorw with the out come.
agian thanks
a less confused me
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts