BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I blew 1 or 2 head gaskets on my E32 750i. with much stress and rounded bolts we decided it wasn't possible to change the gasket whilst in situe in the engine bay. So I bought another one as a donor car and started an engine swap.

The stage i've got to now is on the broken engine I have disconnected all the pipes etc I can, but the heat shield covering some of the exhaust manifolds have rounded bolts I can't shift! So with my huge lack of knowledge in auto mechanics swapping a V12 is proving too much for me. :-(

While not in show condition, between the two of them is a truly awesome and classic car, and I guess iv become emotionally attached because I really don't want to scrap them.

SO I have 2 x 750i's. The original is in good condition with white leather that is looking dirty these days, lpg conversion and a broken engine.

the donor I bought off a guy that contracts himself out to BMW working with v12's. The engine with gearbox I can hear running and sounds great, it has black leather in incredible condition for a 1991 car. however the donor is missing a dif, brakes, bootlid, dashboard and probably more.

So my question is would anyone living in/willing to travel to birmingham be able to help me complete the engine swap? I would of course pay for your time, but im a student and can't afford to pay a garage to do it.

Otherwise would anybody be interested in one or both? I understand the forum requirements for selling items.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
872 Posts
Andy,

Yours really is a heartbreaking story, unfortunately I have heard it often before.

When it comes to wrenching on high performance vehicles there are two alternatives:

1. You have a fully equipped garage with test equipment, proper heat when needed, proper tools and qualified labour (could be yourself).

2. you have enough money to pay for the services of above.

I have been mech'ing on cars for the past 45 years and I would not undertake the job you are talking about without proper means. The problem is that you will more than likely destroy or damage more things than rolling the cars down to a properly equipped and qualified garage would charge. I remember when I was a student, changing a huge American V8 using a scaffold of three floor boards tied together at the top, with a £10 nylon cord winch attached to them. That was easy compared to what you are trying, and it was seriously dangerous - the bloody boards kept buckling.

With no training as a mechanic I also damaged or destroyed a huge number of things such as exhaust manifolds before learning the techniques, including using oxy-acetylene torches correctly. An advantage was that I learned to use drills, bolt extractors and thread cutting equipment pretty fast :D.

I can see the attraction of moving about in a 7-series (got one myself). I just wonder if it would be more productive to spend the time studying and getting enough money to feed a good mechanic? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent advice that Talyinka, and as such the car's are now on ebay. I don't have 15 posts so I can't advertise in the ebay section of the forum so please forgive me for advertising in here!

Surely the V12 engine is useful for someone doing an E30 conversion or kit car?

Two gorgeous cars in conditions as described in the adverts.

1990 E32 750i LPG Auto V12

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300309633385

1992 E32 750i Donor Car Auto V12

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=300309636583

Hopefully will give me some funds to help towards a new BMW and will see you all back on the boards in the near future!

Cheers,
Andy

EDIT: The donor car was previously owned by A BMW V12 mechanic, really nice guy who really knew what he was talking about and looked after the engine very well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dont no if this is the right place to post this but i think my h/g gone on m62 i hear what u are saying about bmw trained mancanics and stuff but i would still like step by step instructions on how to do the h/g and what tools needed were the best place to get skimmed and how much so i could have ago my self im a self taught machanic ive tunned up a z 31 300zx turbo b4 now done a few h/g on motor bikes and i brake cars on ebay so i no how to free bots with out snapping them plus ive got plenty ov free time over chrismas an new year would honesty like the challenge thanks tony

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
You need to get the TIS disk off ebay which is the official repair instructions. Yours probably has the M62TU which has single Vanos. You're going to have to buy or beg the special tools to set it up.

I would also check the cost of a head gasket set as well. I think you might get a fright.

I would suggest that (like the OP) an engine swap from a trashed car might be easier or more economical.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hello OP,
I swapped the engine out of my 850 for the same reason, Talyinka was a great help. i had the luxury of a fully equipped garage, including lifts, hoists, jacks, gas, boody great big hydraulic lifing tables and anything else. And i still wouldn't do it again.

you are making the right choice by selling. i am good on the spanners but this tested me to the limit. if i knew then what i know now i would have scrapped the car and took the hit on the money.

as it turns out, i'm enjoying my 850, i've got a picture of it in my wallet where my money used to be.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The stage i've got to now is on the broken engine I have disconnected all the pipes etc I can, but the heat shield covering some of the exhaust manifolds have rounded bolts I can't shift! So with my huge lack of knowledge in auto mechanics swapping a V12 is proving too much for me. :-(
always willing to back the underdog there is another way...

if it's the heat hield bolts then just take a chisel to them hit the heads off. do NOT smash the manifolds. the exhust manifold nuts are copper and should undo easy enough, use a 6 sided socket. or... undo the exhaust underneath infront of the cats. there should be enough room for engine and manifold to come out together.
the whole front of the 8 had to come off for clearance to get the engine and box out from the top. and they did come out together. sounds to me like you are almost there.
BUT getting the new engine in is the hard bit.

what have you got to loose?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.