BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise the steering wheel swap topic has likely been done to death already..

However, all the forums and threads I have looked at so far are concerned with replacing the 4 spoke tractor wheel with a funky 3 spoke one.

It seems I am one of very few who is reasonably happy with the 4 spoke wheel and don't wish to swap for a 3 spoke.

I am much more concerned with having the multifunction controls available on the wheel and getting rid of the awful cruise control stalk.

To that end, I have acquired a similar 4 spoke wheel from a similar year E38.
It is complete with slipring and cables and has a single stage airbag like the wheel currently fitted.

Can anyone advise is this a straight swap and how do I get the controls working?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is a fairly detailed discussion on this topic in an 8 series section on another BMW website with a very similar url to this.

Could be worth a look ;)

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, don't know how I missed that, I will go and have another look.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will go and have a look in E36 forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats great, thanks again.

Do I need the GR2 brain or does the E31 already have one?
Can the CC stalk be replaced directly by the wheel buttons?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Those bits I have no idea about.
I swapped an MF wheels onto my e36, but I never had any of the devices that the wheel would control so I never took it further.
It looks like there is a demodulator at the far side that turns the little data signals from the wheel back into electronics.
The steering wheel sends the button presses as data over a few wires, and the GR2 then decodes them and flips the switches it seems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love it, it keeps the beasts happy !
It's the cost of it I don't like :eek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts