BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before Christmas the cold weather killed the battery on my E34 535i, brought a new one and all was fine as I was using the car every day in the run up to xmas.

Since Xmas day the car wasnt used for a week, and I went to drive it and the battey was flat again. It opened the doors and dis-alarmed it, but not enough to turn it over at all.

Charged it up and it started fine and had it running for a good hour including a drive. 3 days later I go to drive it again and the battery is flat again. It struggled to unlock the car and even the alarm was very quiet.

I charged it up again and it started. This time I thought I would disconnect the amp for the stereo, and also leave the car unlocked so the alarm isnt set. I also noticed the interior lights were flickering so I disconnected the fuse for them and left it for 2 days.

Now, its flat again. Completely flat, I cant even get any dash lights.

Any ideas whats draining the battery? Could it be the immobiliser, as Im guessing thats armed even without setting the car alarm or locking it? Or could it just be a duff battery? Thought I would ask on here before taking the battery back. It was brand new, and the correct size for the car. The only aftermarket things are the amp (which I have now disconnected) and the alarm / immobiliser.

Any help would be great.
Thanks.
Nick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an M30 engine 535, 1989. No it dosnt have climate control, just the fans. But now you have said that, I have left them on the number 3 position. You cant hear the fans when the ignition is off, but could that still be taking current from the battery?

I'll dig my dads multimeter out tomorrow after charging the battery again and see what the figures are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has it got electric seats? I had a 520i a while back with similar problems & it turned out that the switch for the front part of the seat that moves in & out (can't remember the technical term..) was sticking so that while I was away working all week it would be moving in & out till the battery gave up :muttering Bit of WD40 sorted it :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It dosnt have electric seats, but think Ive traced it to a dodgy connection on the positive battery terminal. Because the last time I went to charge it, the charger still said it was fully charged. Left it for a few hours anyway and it hadnt moved so banged the terminal abit and the car started.

Re-done the connection on the terminal as it wasnt 100% tight and fingers crossed all is ok now. Its locking / unlocking as it should and after being stood for a day it was fine. Im now going to leave it until the weekend (its already been standing 1 day) so will try it then and see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts