BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1989 E34 535i Alpina B10 won't start after ECU removal

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Shogu 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I need your help diagnosing a problem with my 1989 E34 535i Alpina B10 ‘barnfind’,

Car was parked up for 10 years. All fluids changed. Then…

1. New battery was connected and ignition turned on to check electrics (Fuel tank removed for flushing, so not started). There were no issues; all lights worked, seats sunroof, windows, dash etc.

2. Fuel tank and pump were out car waiting for new ones to arrive. Connected a friend’s remote tank and fuel pump. Car started off battery in car and ran. No issues.

3. ECU was removed to check Alpina chip was present in ECU. Fuel tank installed. new pump and fuel sender installed. Reconnected battery, and here comes the problem… about 15 seconds after connecting the battery the hazard lights start flashing on the car. They flash in a weird sequence, too. Almost two normal flashes, then a delay. And repeat. Also the car cranks, but won’t start. I checked the fuel pump and it’s not pumping any fuel when I attempt to start the car.

Reading the forums it seems to suggest the car is in ‘crash’ mode?! Is this correct? How do I sort this issue?

Or does the ECU need resetting? How to sort that?

The car has a sticker saying the BMW alarm is installed. Could that be the issue? How to sort that?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Ben

See less See more
#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.