BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks, apologies in advance for the long post.

I'm posting on behalf of my Dad, who drives a 1987 D reg 325.

It's got 100k on the clock, it's in original condition (i.e. no modifications), it's mechanically *very* sound, he takes it for its 3-yearly belt replacement / full service religiously and has been owned by him for all but about 4 of its 23 years. It's a lovely set of wheels.

On the down side, all four arches have got a pretty bad case of rust, the paintwork is completely knackered (it used to be metallic silver), and it's due for its 3-yearly service some day very soon (which will probably prove quite costly)

My question is this: what to do with the car?
- webuyanycar.com gives you £50, which is a joke for a car that's as mechanically sound as this one.
- ebay gets you a fair price, but then you might get ripped off, it might not sell etc. etc.

I'm trying to get him to keep the car, but how much feasibly would redoing the wheel arches, and a full respray set you back? (and a few other tiny bits and pieces). The car's in London, too, so that would automatically bump the price up a bit.

He's wary of shelling out too much money on a 23 year old car, and is considering buying a more modern BMW. I don't want him paying over the odds to get it fixed either, but I'd prefer if he kept hold of it. As a last resort, I'd want him to sell it privately to a BMW enthusiast, who has the time / money / know-how to keep the car going. It is honestly *way* too good to scrap.

Again, apologies for the long post, but if anyone's been in a similar situation, do you have any advice...?

Many thanks,
Doug

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Well its a bit of a classic and getting rid of it after having owned it for such a long time would seem a pity but without seeing pics of it to judge its condition its not very wasy to say what to do with it.
If he/you arent prepared to do something about the bodywork as well as the maintenance then it might just be better to get rid of it and let someone on a froum like this take it on as a project as it will just rust into oblivion if not.
A descent respray will start at about £1k but will go up depending on how much each panel requires work. Whats it like underneath on the jackin points, sill and inner arches?

If youve got some pics of how crappy the shell is that would be helpful.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'll give you £50.1 for it!! :hihi

Just kidding but they are lovely cars and well worth keeping i've been looking for one for ages as a project but no luck finding one i like! odds are he would regret selling it after having it for so long.

My best advice would be to do as much of the work that needs doing yourself or if you cant i'm willing to bet that theres someone you know who knows someone who will do it for ya cheep!

Get some pics up so we can fully assess the damage though.

good luck to your dad either way just dont let him give it to werobanycar.com

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
The problem is with these are that mechanically they are easy to keep on the raod. It the bodywork that costs the money....:frown

Some pics would help us....:thumbsup

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi folks - thanks for the swift responses :~)

Taking photos would help, of course - silly me! I'll get them sorted ASAP - Thursday hopefully - to give you a better idea of what I'm on about...

·
Registered
788 Posts
put it this way firstly the work needed including new rear arches welded on 2 new front wings full service and what ever else it needs including full respray will set you about 2-3 grand , and after this you will have a virtually new car with another 10 years worry free motoring, on the other hand can you honestly buy a newer bmw for that price that will be 100% perfect ? my answer would be no you cant you will have to spend between 4-10 grand for a decent bmw, so weigh your options up, with the new bmws they are run by computers so can you trust them ? or afford the dealers prices to fix when they go wrong i know what i would do . on the other hand you maybe onto a good thing get your dad to give it to you and get him to buy himself a new one .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello again, attached photos of the car, as follows:

Exterior shot
Bonnet - showing paintwork cracking off
Rear view
Rear spoiler - showing crazed paintwork
Near side rear - surface rust, not as bad as first suspected
Drivers side exterior - A bit of rust in evidence
Drivers side inner - Oh dear, big holes
Drivers side under - A fair bit of rust on the underside. Double oh dear.
Rear arch interior - no rust!
Rear arch exterior - a bit of surface rust
Under side sill - showing no rust

That I guess is an accurate representation of the state of the car's exterior. So what do people reckon? Is the rust too far gone? Is it best giving it up as a project for someone else on this forum? Or can it be salvaged for not too dear a price, and made to look decent again?

I appreciate a complete newbie as myself coming on here and posting a few photos can't convey the full state the car's in, but a few pointers from people more experienced in these matters than ourselves would be very, very appreciated! Thank you!

(As an aside - I'd **LOVE** to take this off my dad's hands, but for one thing I don't think my wife'd be too happy, what with the 9 month old baby to care of already, plus I've already got the burden of a 1989 Scirocco to take care of!! :headache )

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I've just had a look at a few of the pics but I'm on my phone so they are really slow. It does look a bit rough, but an enthusiast could put that right. It's never going to be economically viable to do the work but a labour of love for someone. It would be a shame to see it scrapped or broken. I just wish I had the space and money at the moment...:hihi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts